I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo reel seat removal
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:52PM

I have an heirloom bamboo rod, 1940's vintage. Not a high quality rod for its time, but never used. Is suffering from age and neglect. I am going to spruce it up and fish it- or maybe just hang it. To replace the cork, I'd like to remove and salvage the seat. I am wondering how to remove the seat? I understand the procedure for modern rods, but wonder if that would be abusive for the cane? Thanks for any guidance.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo reel seat removal
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 06:33AM

I have never needed more than a firm grip, and a little twisting and pulling. BE AWARE: there may be a pin or two holding the seat in place. These must be removed, or you will shred the bamboo. I wouldn't hesitate to use a little heat, if needed. If the bamboo "splits", it can be re-glued, using Titebond3.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 06:33AM

Bruce,

Is the reel seat all metal, or does it have a wood or plastic barrel? Check and see if there's a small diameter pin through the butt end of the seat - drive out with a flat ended punch. The all metal seats can be heated and removed; the multipiece seats are somewhat touchier, especially the plastic ones (some of the early plastics were quite flammable). Before removing the seat, though, what's wrong with the existing cork? Unless there are chunks missing, cleaning might be a better option (dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush) if you're trying to get rid of built up crud.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2010 09:20AM

Buce,

Another option is to turn down the existing cork to a consistent diameter and slide the new cork on from the rear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about damaging the seat.

Joe

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.nat-123.northstar.k12.ak.us)
Date: December 15, 2010 02:37PM

Thank you for the advise. I love this forum. It is an all metal seat. I would never have though of looking for pins. Coming in from the front after turning down the original cork, which evidently met up with a mouse, is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? The critter was kind enough to leave the rest of the rod alone.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Herman Knott (---.gci.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 04:02PM

If the seat is good don't mess with it a little soap and water will clean it up nice use a tooth brush.
For the grip keep in mind that Bamboo rods are not round. Sand off as much of the cork as you can aithout getting into the Bamboo and ream the new one to fit.
Before you start removing the old one take some measurements so you can reshape the new one the same.
Bamboo rods fish so well it would be a shame not to use it.
Herman

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 15, 2010 06:20PM

I have replaced dozens of them and the method of replacing the cork only is best. If you try and repace the reel seat be aware that a lot of the old bamboo rods have a wood insert under the reel seat and the bamboo is inserted in it, the rod actually ends at the base of the cork handle. You can replace the cork easier by removing the guide and the winding check above the cork and sliding your new cork down from the top of the section then return the winding check and rewrap the eye. I have also replaced the reel seats with a new one by adding a piece of fiberglass scrap over the end of the rod and building the new reel seat on it. If this method is used then you can replace the cork from the bottom before adding the reel seat. In extreme cases I have added the extension by using a metal ferrule at the end of the rod and ferruled in the extension glued the ferrule together and built the reel seat on this.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 10:28PM

Awesome gentlemen! I proceed from here confidently! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster