I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice FIshing Rod??
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 14, 2010 03:23PM

I am looking to build an Ice rod for a guy in my unit as a gift. I have never built one before so I have a few quesitons. It is a gift so I cannot ask him too many questions.
1) a good bluegill/crappy pond rod 31" ultra light sound right?
2) what guides are used for this application? (I have never ice fished before, it gets in the way of steelheading)
3) short handle with slip rings? 7in or so sound good?

Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice FIshing Rod??
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 14, 2010 03:25PM

Your on the right track, with an ultralight rod, I like wire guides so the foot doesn't hang over the width of the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 03:42PM

Eric,
I couple of suggestions.
I have built several hundred ice rods over the years and a couple of things from pat builds.
1. Rather than using any sort of tubular (or hollow) blanks - go with a solid blank.
2. For a blue gill rod, which needs to be quite light generally go with a fiberglass solid rod since it can have a very fine, very flexible tip without fear of breakaqe. There are some solid graphite blanks on the market, but the tips get so fine, that they tend to get fragile.
3. I tend to stay away from any soft of reel seat. Any reel seat contains aluminum or plastic which tends to conduct cold very well. the result is that your hand tends to get colder than it would if you didn't have a reel seat.
4. Rather, use either a foam handle, or a cork handle, and then use tape to tape the reel onto the rod. For either of these materials, it is nice to put a single wrap of tape on the handle where you are going to mount the reel. Then, mount the reel, and put two wraps of tape on the reel to hold it in place. When you go to remove the reel, remove onlyh the two wraps over the reel foot. That way, the tape doesn't grab and pull out chunks of foam or cork when you go to change reels.
5. With respect to guides, you need to ask if the rod is going to be used out of doors at all, or will it be used only in a heated shelter. The reason is that if you are going to use the rod out of doors, the guides should be larger to allow for the formation of ice, and its removal from the rod.

With respect to guides, you can use about any thing that you like. Alex's comment about using narrower foot guides of what ever type is a good one to allow you to have a nice wrap without overhanging the blank.
You can either use snake guides, or you can use single foot fly guides. I have built many rods, which use a single foot stainless fly guide for running guides, and then a simple slip over stainless tip that nicely fits the smaller tip of the blank.

You can check with the sponsors on the left for both guides and blanks.
A couple in particular have a very good selection.

Roger

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 15, 2010 11:47AM

Thanks for the help. Kinda funny I have a 13' 2pc float rod on the bench and now will have a 17-21" ice rod on there as well, talk about opposites!

I have a few things picked out and looks like I can even use the guided I have on hand (single foot fly H&H, or flex lite) evern better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster