I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

room temp
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 10:46PM

When I flex coat I leave the temperature on 68 when Im in my room . . If I have to leave the rod turning for the majority of of the night I turn the heat down to 60 . Besides slower curing are there any other adverse effects to lowering the temp?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: room temp
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 02:11AM

I leave my temp. at a constant 75%. I may be wrong but lower temps can cause humidity (water) bubbles to form in the finish

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 07:37AM

I don't think you'll have any problems. My basement used to get around 60 at night. I don't think that really affected the curing time that much either.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2010 08:05AM

Other than taking a bit longer to set and cure, 60F isn't going to be necessarily harmful. Plus, your room temp doesn't suddenly plunge from 68 to 60. That takes at least s little while by which time the finish is likely already set.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:29AM

After a while when it has flowed, leveled all it will, you could turn the heat back up to help it harden.
If there are no fans blowing air and dust onto the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 03:51PM

Maryann,
I generally find that for the best results, I like to keep the area of the rods curing at 75 to 80 degrees.
The higher temps will allow for a quicker cure with generally fewer problems.

A very simple thing to do is to simply take some cardboard and make a box to fit over the rod as it dries.

You can leave a couple of low wattage bulbs on the inside of the box - well away from the cardboard to maintain a warmer temperatur on the rods.

Also the box will keep dust off the rod as it dries.

Of course if you are going to do a lot of rods, it is nice to make a more permenant "oven" out of wood or other materials, with a drop down front door and bottom mounted lights to give a nice even heat in the oven.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 04:04PM

Maryann,
Another possibility is, that if the area where the rod is drying is to put a space heater in the room and close the door.

This is what I do for my drying rods. i.e. the drying room is a separate room with its own heat, so it can be turned up when drying and back down when not using it.

For oven ideas, you can go to the photo section and do a search on rod drying ovens.

There are several very nice examples of rod drying ovens.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 12:35PM

thanks to all very happy hoildays!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster