I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Drum Rod
Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.saw.usace.army.mil)
Date: December 13, 2010 12:21PM

I have an order for 3 Old Drum Rods. They will be used for bottom fishing for old drum in 3-20ft of water. They will be casted, but not very far, then stuck in a rod holder to wait for the bite. The customer asked for broom stick spinning rods. He will be using 30lb test line. I am looking at a 5' 9" 30lb IGFA Gator blank. He has no clue what he wants for grips. I am thinking about putting a 10" slick but on it because when a 50 or 60lb drum is on, it is difficult to pull an eva butt from a rod holder. I am also thinking about a 5" cork foregrip.

Any thoughts?

Mudhole has a Ruber Gimble that I am thinking of using. Anybody used one of those?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Drum Rod
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2010 04:16PM

EVA for the buttgrip is going to get torn and banged up and if you have a big drum on the rod it may cause the rod to get jammed and in frustration you pull the rod out and tear up the EVA grip. I would stick with the slick butt and also go with hypalon for the foregrip strickly for grip reason only. The cork may get slippery from bait or whatever. just my two cents.

tight lines,

john

Date: December 13, 2010 04:37PM

Bear with me, I am fairly new to this. I have never used hypalon. How is it diffrent from EVA? Good call on the slippery cork, I hadn't thought of that. I could see that being a problem after you hook on a mullet head. The main thing he asked for, is that it would look diffrent from something he can buy in a store. That is why I was looking to a cork foregrip with a slick butt. I have never seen that.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 05:07PM

Hypalon weighs more than EVA. It is more durable but more spongy/softer.

An IFGA glass rod is going to weigh a ton and not be very pleasurable to fish with. If budget permits you might consider one of Billy's (NERBS) Hercules blanks. A cheaper option could be a rainshadow rclb70m. It will fish more than 30# and your depths are shallow so not much lead. I think it would do but if not they offer others.

The slick butt is a good idea. For the fore grip you could do a checkerboard cork inlay...or use craft foam or such and do a lot of neat things. Again the NERBS site will give you an idea of what is possible. All depends on how much time/money. If you just want to stand out they have camo and wood grain EVA.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 07:50PM

Thomas,
I think you have the perfect rod.
The glass rods will be virtually unbreakable, which is a very good thing considering the fish you are attempting to catch as well as the method you are catching them.
You will seldom have them in your hands, and when you catch a 40 lb fish, the light (comparatively) weight of the rod, compared to the fish will make the rod weight not important.
You need a durable rod, and that is what you have with this rod.
I would also go with the slick grip and the Haplon fore grip.

Good luck and have your client catch a lot of fish on these rods.

Roger

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 14, 2010 07:27AM

Hello All
Thomas, I like the rod and the slick butt, but would go with (different) an EVA foregrip inlayed with something, and if you are not ready to do that kid of thing on your own yet Billy V will have something you will like or maybe do a custom for you, like a Drum.
Show us some pictures when you get them done!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 07:44AM

you may want to try using cord. it is very durable and you can add some great colors. i have found some great cords at outdoor shops that carry climbing supplies. they hold up well in rodholders. i have also had good luck using heat shrink for rods used in holders.

Date: December 14, 2010 04:05PM

Any Ideas for Guides?

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2010 08:17AM

take a look at the amtak aframe or batson vs3..both are sturdy guides and give extra height that will be helpful in NGC setup

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster