I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Finesse casting blank
Posted by: Joe Robertson (74.7.110.---)
Date: December 13, 2010 11:38AM

I am not a big fan of spinning gear for bass fishing so I was thinking about building a finesse bait casting rod. I am looking for a blank in the 6'10" - 7'2" range. I will be casting mostly weightless finesse worms, 1/8 oz jigs, wacky rigs, etc... I plan to do a spiral wrap with micro guides. I have a few blanks in mind but wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2010 05:53PM by Joe Robertson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finesse casting blank
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2010 11:51AM

One of the Batson 822.5s.

Joe

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 11:56AM

3S69MLXF built as a casting rod.

jeremy

Date: December 13, 2010 12:17PM

The Batson 822.5 was one I was considering, I will take a look at the St. Croix as well. The Castaway 822 is another I was thinking about.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 12:31PM

The 822.5 makes a GRAND casting rod!! I love mine loaded with the smallest Micro Guides on the planet :-)

This one is mine: [www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 07:55PM

Any of the medium light spinning blanks will make an excellent finesse casting rods, built with a casting grip and guides.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.sti.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 10:13PM

I completely agree on the Rainshadow XST822.5-TC. Spiraled mine with micros and matched it with a Liberto Pixy loaded with 6 lb., the whole outfit weigh in at 8.7 oz.

Posted by: Joe Robertson (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2010 10:25PM

That's exactly what I was thinking Dennis. A Pixy or at the very least a Sol would be a must for this rod. I would probably go with a minima seat and very minimal cork grips.

Guess I just need to decide on whether I want to go with the RX8 or RX7.

Thanks
JR

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.sti.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 08:19AM

Joe,I think you'll be happy with either blank though I'm kind of partial to the RX8 series.

Date: December 14, 2010 10:53AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to go with the 822.5 in the RX8 series.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-204-138.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 10:54AM

I have built 6-8 Castaway HG40 7' rods for shakey heads built as a casting rod. They are great for weightless senkos, and 5/16-3/8oz jig heads. If you want to fish 1/4oz and less I have switched over to spinning reels with 6-8# fluorocarbon line. I agree with you that I don't like spinning gear, but for light shakey heads it's worth the effort.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 01:30PM

Todd - which model #?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 03:19PM

Joe;
I think your pick of the 822.5 in the RX8 series. Is the second best choice you could make.
With the RX822.5+ being the best!
It does a better job of casting lighter weightless stuff then the RX8 series, also makes a fantastic Drop-shot set up as a casting rod, and excels with lighter top water's as well (great tip action).
I've not caught any really large bass with it, but it handles 7 to 8 pounders just fine!

If you plan on fishing your Sinko's with a concealed hook you might consider stepping up the
RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black Senko Special

It has a little more back bone for driving the hook through the worm body

Date: December 14, 2010 04:20PM

Glad to hear that Steve. This rod is going to be strictly used for ultra light casting, primarily weightless finesse worms, 1/16 - 1/8 oz darter heads with grubs, light shaky heads and things of that nature. I own spinning gear, just don't like using it.

I will for sure use the smallest, sharpest hooks I can find for any t-rigged baits I might throw. I have other rods that I throw Senkos on. I don't think the RX822.5+ is in my budget at almost twice the price but I am definitely going to go for the RX8 over the RX7. I've already done some price shopping with the sponsors to the left.

My next task is deciding on a reel to match up with the rod, not a bad problem to have!

Thanks,
Joe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 04:23PM by Joe Robertson.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 04:59PM

Joe,

I routinely throw 4" Zoom C Tail worms with 1/8oz. bullet weight T-rigged with 1/0 worm hooks on my RX8+822.5, and it will set the hook just fine. The key is to use light wire hooks and to rig with the hook pushed through and skin hooked in the back. I built it as a grub rod to toss 1/8-1/4oz. jig and grubs, and as Steve mentioned, I found it to be far more versatile. I found it will absolutely launch an 1/8oz. quad wing buzz bait. I think you will be more than satisfied with your choice. I still haven't gotten my hands on an RX8 blank yet, but maybe one of these days I will.

When it comes to spinning equipment, I used to feel the same way as you, until I read about Steve's handles and wrapping the reel onto the handle with thread. I used the tubing and bushings available from Batson to approximate Steve's techniques, and I now actually enjoy picking up a spinning rod once in a while. Even though, I still prefer casting gear. Get the RodMaker issues with his articles and give it a try, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Joe

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 06:10PM

Another option some may have not thought of for the 822.5+.....this setup makes a great rod for casting LIGHT SMALL topwaters to schooling bass where long casts are a must. Works GREAT for that as well.

DR

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 09:41PM

you should pair it with a shimano core 50mg. super light and just plain awesome!

LEGENDARY CREATIONS CUSTOM RODS
Maplewood, MN

Posted by: Matt Graesch (173.17.184.---)
Date: December 16, 2010 06:43PM

Hello guys! First post here on this site, but this thread is of interest to me so I will add my $0.02.

I just got done with a light action casting rod built on a NFC MB662 using micro guides and it turned out pretty well. I built it for small jigs and small jerk baits. It balances perfect with a Core 50 Mg7.

Seems like a good blank for this application.

Matt

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 08:53AM

Joe,
If you want light weight, I would suggest the Castaway reelseat you can get from Swampland instead of the minima seats. These are much lighter in my opinion then the minima seats.

Date: December 17, 2010 11:23AM

Really? I assumed the Minima seat with trimmed down threads would be lighter than the Castaway. I will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster