I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing for a Loomis SJR 842(GLX)
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 08:49PM

I'm doing a custom build on a Loomis Spin Jig 842 GLX blank. I'm new to building, but I know that Loomis uses less guides than St. Croix, Lamiglas, and Shimano rods, who I believe all use the recommended (fuji) guide spacing figures.

From my experience I like the Loomis style better; I've never found the exta guides to be beneficial in casting accuracy or sensitivity and I feel they can hamper the true action of the blank...thoughts from you more experienced guys?

Anyways long story short the Loomis spin jig rods use oversized guides and only 6 guides plus the tip top on their 6'6" and 7' rods, which I don't like. But I do like the way they do their bass rods ie...the shakyhead, jig and worm series, bronzeback, senko and other bass specific rods.

For instance on my BSR (mossyback blend) 852 spinning rod (7'1" medium power/ex-fast action--for those unfamiliar with this rod) it uses 7 guides plus the tip top....and I really like this set up, also my two shakyhead 822 mag medium spinning rods also use 7 guides and the tip top.
Could I use the same guide layout on these two rods for my spin jig 7' blank? Of note both of these rods are rated as extra fast (while the SJR 842 is a fast action), but are both the same power.

Also is it possible to cut a piece out of another blank and slide it into my spin jig blank and glue it to add a few extra inches to the finished rod?...I would like to make it 7'2" if possible. And if I can do this how long do you reccommend cutting the piece to gain the extra two inches? And what type of glue/epoxy would I want to use to hold it in...if this is possible?

Thanks a lot guys,

Sam Moore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 10:57PM by Sam Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing for a Loomis SJR 842(GLX)
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 12:39AM

You can lay out the guides the same way if you want, or you can let the blank tell you how many and their locations. Using static deflection which you can read about in the library, it will help you figure out things for the guides. I would also take a look at the new guide concept in the library for more ideas on guide setup. If you go to using more and smaller guides, I think you would see better performance in the rod. If you get to using the micro guides for the running guides on the rod, they barely add any weight to the rod and do not effect the action of the rod at all. A lot of the setups by production rods are the way they are to save money on how many guides are being used for the rod. With using the new guide concept and getting to smaller and even micro guides, I feel the rod casts so much better, the guides control the line and you would see some better distances in your casts if you set it up correctly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 12:46AM

Sam,
Blanks are extended all of the time.
If you keep at least 1/2 of the grip covering the original blank, and use at least a 4 inch overlap on the blank over blank you will be in good shape.
Just use epoxy - 5 minute or slow drying. Pick a section of another blank that will give a nice tight fit on the outside of the blank. Have a 4 inch over lap on the full length blank and you will be in good shape.
You can either use the inner side of the blan, or the outer side of the blank. I prever to use an outer sleeve due to its larger diameter and more butt strength.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 03:43AM

I go inside the blank with 6" or less about 2 - 2 1/2" Over 6 I go over the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sam Moore (---.lightspeed.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 10:07PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sam,
> Blanks are extended all of the time.
> If you keep at least 1/2 of the grip covering the
> original blank, and use at least a 4 inch overlap
> on the blank over blank you will be in good shape.
>
> Just use epoxy - 5 minute or slow drying. Pick a
> section of another blank that will give a nice
> tight fit on the outside of the blank. Have a 4
> inch over lap on the full length blank and you
> will be in good shape.
> You can either use the inner side of the blan, or
> the outer side of the blank. I prever to use an
> outer sleeve due to its larger diameter and more
> butt strength.
>
> Good luck
>
> Roger

If I want to extend the overall rod length to 7'2" (add two inches) how much blank will I need to slide into the end of my Loomis blank ( or over the end for that matter)?

I'm hoping I can slide into the butt section of the rod, rather than over the outside, because I want to do a split grip and not have it look wierd....does it matter if you go inside the blank or over the outside?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 09:50AM

2" is not much Go inside about 2" Clean both well and use rod bond.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster