I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Printer MD-1000
Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 01:13PM

My computer that I have my MD-1000 hooked up to has died. I tried to resurrect it, but to no avail. I can't get either of my other two computers to communicate effectively with the Alps! I had to buy the USB cable for the printer, downloaded various drivers from Yahoo Groups but all I can do is print in black. I need to be able to make silver and gold metallic decals.

I'm running a HP Pavillion (Vista), or Compaq Presario (XP), both lap tops and connected via USB. I have read that the MD-1000 will not run on Vista. Is this true? I can't get it to run properly on anything with the USB cable. The computer that died was running XP but connected with the original Alps printer cable (not USB).

Is this a cable issue?
Is there any other printer out there that will print metallics?
Do I need a different computer? ...printer?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Printer MD-1000
Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 04:19PM

Hey Nick,

Probably need a different printer. I have an ALPS MD5000 that I have used for the last few years and it will not run on my new computer even with the paralell port it was designed for - will not talk to each other.

Alps may still be made in Japan but are around $1000.00 and approx $150.00 shipping to get it here, at least that's what they were when I checked earlier this year. Powis Parker makes one that appears to be a "clone" of the Alps that retails for approximately $2400.00 . . . but it will print metallics!!! - and sold in the US.

When the computer my Alps is running on now gives up the ghost, I have only one more untested computer available - then if that one doesn't work . . . .????

Good luck but I fear there are not many options left for Alps printer . . ..

Charlie

Posted by: Tom St.Clair (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 07:59PM

you might think about getting an inexpensive computer and put XP on it, if that is what was working with the Alps.
Might even find a small Computer shop that sells "old" computers cheap and dedicate it for the printer....

--------------------------------

tom in indy

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 12:10AM

I bought an old computer off Craigslist just to run my Alps. I also bought a KVM switch so I can run both of my computers using 1 keyboard and 1 mouse.

Good luck.

Stan

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 05:48PM

Nick, Somebody you know must have an old computer with WINDOWS 98 on it. You can pick them up for next to nothing at yard sales.That's the item you need, an old windows 98 workhorse.I have a MD-!000 for about 5yrs now and it runs great but, I'm on my 2nd 98 run machine thanks to the know how of my son!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.lightspeed.caryil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 09:43PM

Nick,

Stan is right, get yourself a KVM switch to toggle between your old computer and the new one the best thing I have done this year. Get yourself an old computer to run the Alps and you should not have any problems until you run out of ink. Dennis was most helpful for me in setting me up with the software for my Alps I bought a few years ago. Thanks again Dennis.

Sincerely,
Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2010 01:55PM

Jeff, Your welcome.I'm glad everything worked out OK for you. If I can help you, I will!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster