I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe opinons
Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 08:30AM

For years I've used an old Sear/Dunlap lathe. the thing has served me well but I've found that I never really use the entire 36" bed. So I'm looking at something smaller. I'm down to pretty much doing grips, reel seats, pens etc. I know there are a ton of options out there so for those of you that have one what should I look for and what features do you like? Let's try to keep it under $400.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe opinons
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 11, 2010 09:08AM

Jet 1220 ... just under $400 when on sale.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 09:36AM

I would second what Jim said, I got a Jet second hand with full set of tools and many pieces of wood for 200.00 so that is what I recommend... If you keep a sharp eye out there are deals to be had. I have heard my favorable comments on the Rikon as well.

Tom

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 09:39AM

I use a PSI Turncrafter Pro VS, that I lucked out on craigslist and got for 100.00 was only used twice, but I've got 3 times that in tooling and accessories for it. It does an excellent job.

Ron Weber

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 11, 2010 11:29AM

i got a grizzley table top lathe. nice unit, usually can get them for a good price. my gramps and uncle were carpenters and they had a lot of grizzley tools over the years so it was a no brainer for the price. I got a 3 jaw chuck and going to add the drill-chuck to the tail stock soon. the 3 jaw & live center are great with the dimpled mandrels made for a live center. I can do grips up to 16" (18" between centers). [www.grizzly.com]

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2010 12:17PM

There's nothing wrong with the link - links don't change or go bad.

Occasionally a server somewhere on the other end where the site is located may be overloaded due to heavy traffic, a changed URL or other maladies. In that case you need to contact the owner of the site URL and inquire with them. There is nothing to be done on this end.

Occasionally a server somewhere on the other end where the site is located may be overloaded due to heavy traffic, a changed URL or other maladies. In that case you need to contact the owner of the site URL and inquire with them. There is nothing to be done on this end.

Posted by: John Pierce (---.hsd1.ar.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 05:27PM

I just bought a Jet 1014 and love it. I am new to the art of "turning" and this was a perfect beginner model for me. So far I have made 3 cork handles and 4 ink pens. I got it from Amazon for $300 and got free shipping. Only regret is I wish I had spent $50 more and got the variable speed model since it would be easier to change the speed. The model I have requires moving the v belt on the pulleys which is easy to do but a pain when you have to stop what you're doing to change speeds. Only other thing I would advise as a "newbie" is to buy good chisels (for reel seats). I bought cheap ones from Harbor Freight ($30) and the dull very easily. Best, John.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 12, 2010 05:39PM

Well I'm still shopping and looking. i was eyeballing a cheaper model that had the same size threads as my old lathe so I could use all my chucks etc. then I found out that I can get a thread converted from Penn State tools. now it's back to shopping.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 13, 2010 08:46AM

I will second the PSI lathe. Picked one up last year with a bed extention and FREE shipping from Amazon. Works great and very user friendly.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2010 11:54AM

I also recommend the PSI. I added VS motor and highly recommend VS option right from the start. Thread converters work but sometimes introduce other problems that are not obvious. What is the thread and taper of the old sears?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 15, 2010 12:05PM

The old sears has a 3/4x16 with a #1 morse taper the new lathe is a 1x8 32 taper.
I decided on the Rikon 12x16 variable speed. My local Woodcraft store still had them for their "Black Friday" price. just couldn't beat the deal.
The PSI had a slightly bigger motor but it's on back order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster