I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod epoxy. can i use PC-7?
Posted by: kevin gross (168.208.215.---)
Date: December 10, 2010 05:43PM

I have having a hard time finding any paste epoxy for rod building where i live. I have to epoxy some grips so i need eposxy paste. Can i use PC-7? I have fixed a ton of things with this epoxy and its been unreal. Once it hardens its there for ever. any reason i cant use it? Please give me your thoughts

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod epoxy. can i use PC-7?
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2010 06:28PM

In my opinion PC-7 although unbelievably strong is too much of a paste to get complete coverage when installing reel seats. I like an epoxy that flows a little more to avoid pockets of no coverage.Mail order epoxy from our sponsors would work great. If unsure what to use a phone call will help you get the right stuff.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2010 06:32PM

PC7 is not intended for close fitting assemblies (which is what you should have). For a gel type product, you should look at RodBond, QuickBond, Ultimate Gel, or in a real pinch, Kardol gel if you can find it locally.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2010 09:06PM

The same company that makes PC7 also makes "super epoxy" which I used to assemble the grip on my first rod. It's a gel/paste, easy to work with, and claims to be water proof. It's available at any hardware store. It's easy to mix up because it turns from blue to translucent clear when mixed properly.

The last few rods I have used "ProBond" from Mudhole with favorable results. This gives a bit longer working time, and doesn't run out of stuff you assemble.

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2010 02:38PM

I don't usally get a chance to respond to postings but I feel compelled to because of the subject. Kevin you mention using PC7 for installing grips and that would be a big mistake I think. PC7 is what I use for installing reel seats and have been doing it for many many years and I would not think of using anything else for reel seats as it the strongest of all epoxys in my opinioun. I have heard it called plumbers putty for use to fix pipe cracks and holes.

A number of epoxys were mentioned and I must tell you that most of them are good but I still prefer PC7 for reel seats. I might also add that I use a total of 6 different epoxys on my rods. I know that sounds a little wierd but over the years I have found that each one has a spefic purpose for me. You mentioned installing grips and I have found through trial that the most lubricant and strongest was Kardol as mentioned by Tom. 5 minute epoxy for the tip and I like Rod Bond for the but cap. Contact cement and PC11 for my inlay work and thats my total use on rods which I have been doing for many years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster