I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

securing cork to manderal?
Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.17.212.134.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:10PM

How are you guys doing it? I have been turning wood for a while now and I'm ready to try out some cork blocks (1-1/2" X 1-1/2" with 1/4" hole ) and acrylic reel seat inserts. I was shaping cork (round cork) on my drill press with 18" peices of all thread and wing nuts.

The threaded "TK" manderals from backlash intrigued me. How the heck do you use them?

I also noticed that Mud Hole has manderal wax. Do you wax the manderal (regular manderals not the "TK" I assume) then epoxy the cork to it? If so, how hard is it to remove the cork from the manderal?

THANKS GUYS / GALS!

GARRETT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: securing cork to manderal?
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:46PM

Garrett,
I bond the rings together like this:
[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Once the glue has cured I slide the pre-grip back onto the 1/4" mandrel and shape on the lathe. If the cork begins to slip on the mandrel while shaping, I make a partial turn of masking tape on the mandrel and slide the one end of the grip onto it. This usually keeps the cork in place.

Jeff

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.17.212.134.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:52PM

Thanks Jeff,

I got the glue up of the rings under control and shaping with sandpaper. Just not sure hou to secure the cork on the manderal to shape on a lathe with tools. I would think that just jamming the cork on the manderal would make the cork slip. I could be wrong.

THANKS
GARRETT

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2010 01:03PM

If the cork is a snug fit, it won't slip. You can even (and should) coat the mandrel with paraffin wax so the epoxy won't permanently stick to the mandrel surface.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 03:32PM

Garret,

Unhide your e-mail or email me at mbarkley@wowway.com. The TK mandrels are the way to go, particularly with wood.acrylic you want the threaded ones, though

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 08:43PM

I did not know my e-mail was hidden..... I'll work on that. You have mail Mike B. Thanks!

gadams1qz@bellsouth.net

EDIT- everyone should be able to see my e mail now I hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 09:02PM by Garrett Adams.

Date: December 09, 2010 08:57PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the cork is a snug fit, it won't slip. You can
> even (and should) coat the mandrel with paraffin
> wax so the epoxy won't permanently stick to the
> mandrel surface.
>
> ...............

So... a coat of wax on the manderal, then a coat of epoxy?
Thats kinda what I figured, just not sure. Is a 1/4" manderal good for 1/4" ID cork blocks? Wow! that really sounds like a stupid question. This is my first time using a manderal and a square cork block (NOT RINGS) on a wood lathe so excuse my ignorance.

THANKS
GARRETT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 09:14PM by Garrett Adams.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:00PM

i ream all my rings to fit the blank and then do a glue up on threaded rod or an old blank. I have a few mandrels that a friend made from drill stock. they all have 1/4" diameter on one end for about 2-3" of length and then the rest of the mandrel is 3/8" or 1/2" or whatever. The other end has a 60* cone to seat in the live center. These let me do a full grip with a rubberized cork butt (w/ plug) attached all at once. (Rubberized has 1/4" hole while rest of handle might be greater than 1/2").

To hold the cork tight i just use masking or electrical tape to get a tight fit on the closest sized mandrel.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: December 09, 2010 09:19PM

I would like to turn these......

[www.mudhole.com]

into round peices. Sorry if I was unclear.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.dualrack.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:21PM

This has worked well for me for many years. Make two of your grip’s cork rings very tight fitting to the mandrel. The rest can fit close but easy on the mandrel. Press one of your tight fitting rings onto the mandrel. Now glue the rest to that one and finish off with the other very tight ring. Having a tight fitting ring on either end of the cork cylinder should suffice to hold the cylinder very snugly to the mandrel and allow you to turn under moderate pressure without having anything slip on you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:59PM

I glue my rings together using a threaded rod and wing nuts and washers. Then when dry I take them off , ream them to fit a mandrel if they don't fit tight I wrap tape over the mandrel .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 10:47PM

You DO NOT "epoxy the cork to the mandrel!" Many of us use all thread rods for glue ups and when set up, transfer the glued rings to the mandrel. The TK threaded mandels tighten to hold the cork (or wood or whatever). If using the non threaded style a strip of masking tape will keep the cork from spinning on the mandrel.

Date: December 12, 2010 08:56PM

Thank's everyone! The e-mails were very helpfull. I got it under control now. Thanks again!

Date: March 29, 2011 10:27PM

edit..... i got the TK manderal from backlash....best thing ever!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster