I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sharpening Chisels
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (71.15.159.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 04:27PM

Im about to buy something to sharpen my turning tools with.What do yall recommend that won"t break the bank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharpening Chisels
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.176.42.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 04:32PM

There are systems that mount on your bench with a grinder that are not too expesnive. If you look at Woodcraft and such you should be able to find them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2010 04:43PM

I have no idea what your price range is. A good water-wheel type system is nice because the slow turning wheel and water combine to float away metal particles and cool the tool. You can't burn a tool on a water wheel. The Tormeck is the king of the crop in water wheels, but there are less expensive alternatives that will do nearly as well. The Tormek simply has some great accessories that few others can match.

There are some dry systems out now that are pretty darn good. The name escapes me at the moment but there's one that features sandpaper discs on a glass wheel. You insert the tool from below so you can see the tool surface as it's being sharpened. I've heard a good many wood turners speak highly of it.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (71.15.159.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 05:10PM

Tom I saw that one.I believe it is a work sharp 3000.Its about 200 and in my price range.I may try it.I know nothing about any of them and will probably try something in that caliber before going all out on a wet system. Thanks

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (141.151.85.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 07:08PM

Bruce,
When I started turning I purchased a 1700 RPM dry bench grinder, from Woodcraft. It came with one 60 grit wheel and one 120 grit wheel (I only use the 120 grit wheel). I quickly learned that attaining a nice grind freehand wasn't working out for me. So I researched jigs designed to hold the various rough gouges, spindle gouges, parting tools, etc. at the angle necessary to achieve a nice, uniform edge. Some are fairly pricey so I created a low tech jig that is easily adjustable and has worked well for me. I keep the grinder and jig mounted on my rolling bench and can touch up my tools as needed, even in the middle of a job.

I'll email a photo to you.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (75.218.44.---)
Date: December 09, 2010 07:00AM

I do alot of turning and use a grinder with the wolverine jig attached. works great and is quick. Pennstateind.com also sells a cheaper version that is nice.

Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:37AM

I use the Wolverine system and am very happy with it [www.oneway.ca] There is some info here.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:34PM

Bruce,
If you happen to have a bench mounted belt sander, you can use it to do excellent sharpening, using various grades of sandpaper.
The advantage of this system over a wheel, is that you have a flat moving grinding surface that makes chisel and tool sharpening quite easy.

For example:

[www.harborfreight.com]

There is another advantatge to using a bench mounted belt sander.
You never have to true up the sand paper as is the case with grinding wheels. When you use a grinding wheel for sharpening, the surface of the grinding wheel gets used up. As the wheel gets used up, it creates an uneven surface which can lead to issues when trying to sharpen a tool.
Then you have to get and use a grinding wheel truing tool to attetempt to keeping the grinding surface true.

For the case of a belt sander, when the sand paper wears out, you take the sandpaper off, throw it away, install a new sanding belt and you are back in service.

Incidentally, many of these bench mounted belt sanders use a1750 rpm motor., Although this speed motor will work, it is often nice to have a faster belt speed. Therefore, on all of my belt sanders, I have swapped out the 1750 rpm motors with 3600 rpm motors.
Then, you either use a finer grit of paper when sanding or use a lighter touch with the faster belt speed, compared to the speed of the belt that you have with a 1750 rpm motor.

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 06:05PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 08:48PM

Check out the sharpening machines at Grizzly. They are Tormeck look a likes and work just as well. Worksharp makes a nice machine. I just purchased the Worksharp knife sharpener, and when done, my kitchen knife could shave me!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:43PM

Might depend a little on how you work and how "sharp" and good looking you want them to be. I tend to work directly off the grinding wheel and grind pretty often. So I like the slow white wheel grinder with the wolverine jig I have set up near the lathe. The grinder and the jig costs somewhere around $200. The grinder and wheel is about $100. Unlike the poster above, I use the 60 grit wheel with a light touch the most. I am going to rig up a "mist spray" for it. Toms suggestion of some type of a water wheel is certainly the safest way and an very good way to sharpern. Lots of choices there. Do you want a hollow ground or a flat bevel? I have used a Makita water wheel for jointer knives, planer blades, and general woodworking tools. I works great for lathe tools but I prefer the dry grind with a hollow grind I get from the white wheel.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 10, 2010 10:51AM

I bought a wet stone shapener (electric) from sears last year and it works great, cost me 50.00

It is not a grinder so you cannot take off huge amounts but plus is you get a real nice edge.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 12:10PM

Grizzly has their 8" wet grinder on sale for 80.00....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster