I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spey rod ceramic guides
Posted by: Greg Foy (69.228.114.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 02:16PM

I am working on a 13' seven weight (for a 450-500 grain head) spey rod and bought Fuji clag7 for the running guides, wanting to use Alconites for low cost (versus titanium sic) and small enough to keep the weight down.

Question is does anyone use ceramic guides on spey rods what size do you think is appropriate?

Greg

Greg
Aptos, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spey rod ceramic guides
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 02:39PM

I used Alconites on my 12 1/2' 8 wt and they work great. I can't remember if but I think I used 7's since I thought 6's were too small for the shooting head and/or knots.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (74.233.127.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 06:37PM

Sorry - but I can't see using ceramics as runners on a spey rod. Especially stainless i/o Ti.

The weight is going to make the rod slower than desirable. And don't forget the size 7(mm) is measured to the outside of the ceramic ring. That makes it smaller than, I think, a REC s/f recoil #3.
Herb

Date: December 08, 2010 06:38PM

Sorry - but I can't see using ceramics as runners on a spey rod. Especially stainless i/o Ti.

The weight is going to make the rod slower than desirable. And don't forget the size 7(mm) is measured to the outside of the ceramic ring. That makes it smaller than, I think, a REC s/f recoil #3.
Herb

Posted by: Greg Foy (71.139.188.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:19PM

I don't see how that would slow it down much. Yes they are smaller inside diameter than a size three single foot wire guide. About the same as a size two.

Greg

Posted by: Eugene Moore (4.245.79.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 11:35PM

Greg,
I concur with Herb.
The effects of guide train mass are cumulative and build exponentially with distance from the grip.
Use of heavier guides in the lower third won't be noticed but keep the upper third light as possible.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Greg Foy (71.139.188.---)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:20AM

The weight of 8 clag7 guides is 1.8 grams, 1/2 grams more than the weight of 8 sf3 wire guides at 1.3 grams, the weight of the spey head is 33 grams. I am more concerned about whether the loops and knots pass through the clag7's easily enough.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (125.254.43.---)
Date: December 09, 2010 01:01AM

You are building a fly rod. !

Strippers can be alcanite, no problems. You might have 3 on this build.

No effect to the lower section of the rod.

The rest of your rod is built with snake guides. Nothing changes.

I don't see the problem of your question.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Date: December 09, 2010 08:07AM

Greg,
I love the "looks" and concept of the Fuji Ti SiC s/f guides as runners - and tried them on a lot of rods - befrore I sold them all. So I tried them on a 10'6" #12 switch rod I was building - tip-top and all. It slowed the rod down immensely. So I went back to the REC s/f recoils and the recoil tip-top. Made a world of difference. Now mine was a 10'6", #12 - yours is a 13', #7. Believe me - it will slow it down.
If you want proof, just tie on the ceramics, if you already have them, and I will lend you some #4 s/f recoils and a recoil tip-top. And, just wiggle the rod.
Herb

Date: December 09, 2010 08:08AM

Greg,
I love the "looks" and concept of the Fuji Ti SiC s/f guides as runners - and tried them on a lot of rods - befrore I sold them all. So I tried them on a 10'6" #12 switch rod I was building - tip-top and all. It slowed the rod down immensely. So I went back to the REC s/f recoils and the recoil tip-top. Made a world of difference. Now mine was a 10'6", #12 - yours is a 13', #7. Believe me - it will slow it down.
If you want proof, just tie on the ceramics, if you already have them, and I will lend you some #4 s/f recoils and a recoil tip-top. And, just wiggle the rod.
Herb

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 10, 2010 10:49AM

I am not a huge fan of ceramic on a a spey rod for a number of reasons. Wieght in the upper half is a big one but also there is a lot of room for ring failure. I have moved away from ceramic on my spey and switch rods all together as of late. One popped guide can ruin your trip. Just my .02 but I go 16,12,10 for strippers on a longer rod then 6,5 and 4s up with snakes the rest of the way.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2010 02:13PM

Eric

if you are going snakes why not go single foot wire. Less thread less weight. Even recoils ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 11, 2010 12:41AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. There were a wide range of opinions, and a couple people that have actually tried ceramics. I'm trying to be open minded. I really wanted to use ceramics but I am starting to be swayed since I really don't have time to experiment I think I have to go with the snakes.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 08:19PM

I like the use of ceramic "style" guides because of the benefit of the shape of their guide feet. When using guides with the old "coke bottle" profile guide feet, Forhan locking wraps come into use by reducing (an almost eliminating) the likelihood of guide pullout. Forhan locking wraps used with single foot snakes is a virtual waste of time, since their "straight legged" wire design pulls out much more easily than the ceramic "styles" do. I've pulled out single foot snakes when using a Forhan Locking wrap (and even one side of a double foot snake - conventionally wrapped). If weight is of concern, consider using Minima guides, since they offer the ceramic "style" swelled guide foot that is beneficial for locking wraps - without any actual ceramic ring. They are almost as light as the REC's and considerably lighter than even titanium framed ceramics.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: December 14, 2010 09:45AM

I do use recoils sometimes. I like the double foot guides as there is a TON of twist in spey casting and I feel the double foot guides hold up much better.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 11:06AM

Eric, looking through your photos I saw the quick clamp grip clamp. Great idea! I had to get creative with tools on this build since I haven't done a 13.5" grip before. I wish I had seen that clamp idea sooner.

Greg

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2010 11:33AM

A long threaded rod will work also.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster