I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding blanks?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 10:43PM

I was reading about unsanded blanks, But I have a ?, does anyone know if someone can sand a blank down to get a different action on the rod like say a fast action to a moderate action?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding blanks?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 10:48PM

No - the ridges are so small that it would be inconsequential - unless you are considering much more material removal and that would be touchy (risky).
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 01:52AM

Lorenzo,
If you have a hollow blank, the answer is no. The tubular walls are too thin to sand the blank and make an action change.

However, if you have a solid graphite or a solid fiberglass blank, you can easily change the action of the blank.
If you do elect to sand down a solid blank to change the blank, be sure that you have the full length of the blank well supported during sanding in a lathe to prevent whipping and blank destruction.
Also, it is a good idea to sand wet to keep the blank cool.
Finally, be sure to wear good gloves and breathing masks when sanding. Especially on glass blanks, you will pick up small glass slivers and fibers when sanding that are toxic to both breathe and handle.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 01:56AM

Lorenzo,
You may find that you can buy unsanded blanks from various suppliers for a discount rate.
These will generally be tubular or hollow blanks. To make a nice looking rod, it is a nice idea to sand out the moulding ridges that are typically on unsanded blanks.

Again, if you spin the blank in a lathe when sanding, be sure to use enough rod rests to prevent blank whipping when sanding.

It is also nice to do the final sanding wet, i.e. wet and dry sand paper used wet to get a nice polished look on the blank.

This sanding does not really change the action of the blank, it just gets the blank to the action that the rod designer designed into the blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 02:43AM

I wold not sand a blank with sand paper wet/dry there is noway You can can sand and get it even. Those ridge line you see are hop lines and the lines left by the cellophane wrap used when the blank is cooked. But to sand to get a differnt action, not recommended. If you wanted to de-glaze a blank I would use a scuff pad. Scuff pads well not damage the graphite fibers

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2010 06:08AM

I've been redoing some factory rods that have a paper or cloth material wrapped over the blank. Doing this without a lathe or power wrapper, I have had good success using a razor knife "held at 90* and scraping the covering off. Almost all have the wrapping ridges under teh covering. I then take a single edge razor blade and gently scrap the ridges down using the same 90* method, running lengthwise along the blank. This doesn't take much effort.
I don't believe you can significantly change the blank action by sanding.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2010 08:34AM

The amount of sanding required to change a blank's action would generally be more than you really have to safely work with in most modern rod blanks. If you had enough wall thickness it could certainly be done, but again, that type of wall thickness isn't really present in most blanks these days and sanding would most likely only result in blank failure at some point.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 08, 2010 08:38AM

Short answer - Yes you can change a blank by sanding. Most folks don't know what they are doing and there isn't really anything out there to teach you how to do it. Be prepared to mess up a lot of blanks.

If you are wanting to make major changes, you'd want to alter the patterns when rolling the blank. So sanding is most likely not going to do what you want.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (66.41.96.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 10:25AM

Bob,
I am curious as to why you would NOT sand a blank with wet and dry sand paper?

I have used wet and dry paper to refinish many many different blanks with great success. I am just curious as to why you don't like the use of such paper?

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 12:28PM

Roger factory says you have a chance of cutting threw the bonding resins and cutting fibbers on Graphite blanks, this can cause failures.

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster