I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Replacement
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 08:53PM

Alright...so this fella gives me a Shimano TLD25 to repair and I fix it. The reel is attached to a Sea Striker Billfisher Rod. I notice that the reel seat is very loose, and spins from side to side on the blank. The rod has Sea Striker/Star's version of a slick butt. Not sure what kind of material it is(but i kinda like it), but my question is this:

Can the original butt be cut/pried/removed from the blank (from the bottom), then the reel seat removed(from the bottom), and then I can replace the reel seat from the bottom up, followed by a slick butt from the bottom followed by a gimbal?

Thoughts? I might have to go a reel seat larger possibly?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Replacement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2010 09:08PM

Unless a submerge in boiling water breaks the bond on the plastic butt, you might be better coming off the front. If the seat ID is large enough, you may not loose anything more than the foregrip.

There is another half-way fix that might work, although it's really not a terribly sound method, but could work a while in a pinch. Drill a small hole in the back of the reel seat and use a syringe to insert some liquid epoxy inside. Put a little in and stand the rod on its butt. Let that set then do it again but this time set the rod on its tip.

While not anywhere close to a proper fix, it can sometimes "stick" the seat well enough for a few seasons. Maybe. Just depends on what he wants and how much he wishes to spend.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 09:10PM

Jesster,
Any thing is possible.
The big question is whether you can remove rod components with out damage.
If you start on a project like this, it would not be a bad idea to have replacement components on hand, in case one or more of the components were damaged.

Generally speaking, heat is the answer to getting things loose on the rod. This may be in the form of hot water, a heat gun, or even a torch. But as is the case with any thing, you really need to take your time and be careful in the application of heat along with any force or tools to do the job.

The gimbal should come off all right, by heating it up. Then, wrap the gimbal in a rag, to keep from marking it, and twist it off with a twist of the wrist of a glove covered hand, or possibly the use of a pair of pliers. Remember the rag to protect the gimbal.

With respect to the slick butt. You can try hot water - i.e. boling water for 10-30 minutes to see if you can get enough heat to the glue to soften it. If so, the butt should come off from the butt end of the rod. The same is true of the reel seat.

But, as I cautioned you a tthe beginning of the post, have replacement components on hand, if any component is either damaged or broken during the removal of the component.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 11:03PM

An alternate method is to cut the rod in two at the center of the reel seat. Remove the offending reel seat . Then make an inner sleeve out of a scrap piece of blank to join the rod back together. Size the reel seat bushing to the blank and the glue up the whole thing all at once making sure the epoxy is thoroughly distributed. The reel seat and bushing will act as an over sleeve to strengthen the connection. I have done this several times ,a few on heavy salt water rods , and have yet to have a comeback.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Rich Gorden (74.178.36.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 07:37PM

Fred- That's a great idea, I never would have thought of that. I have a rod with a loose reel seat I really don't want to re- wrap and grip, I may try that. Thanks.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (69.142.18.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:23PM

Not my idea. I got it from Jesse Buky, A long time rod builder from I believe Virginia. Haven`t heard anything about him in a long while. I hope all is well with him.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (69.142.18.---)
Date: December 08, 2010 09:24PM

Not my idea. I got it from Jesse Buky, A long time rod builder from I believe Virginia. Haven`t heard anything about him in a long while. I hope all is well with him.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2010 12:37PM

Or, after further investigation, I may be able to send it back to manufacturer under their 5 year warranty??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster