I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composites
Posted by: Michael Ortega (209.51.184.---)
Date: December 06, 2010 02:35PM

I want to build a couple rods with the North Fork Composites "HM" blanks. These will be bass fishing casting rods and I am looking for a 6'6" Medium power fast action. I remember touching some of the blanks at the expo last year and I think I remember them being quite soft for the listed power/action.

Has anyone built with these blanks and can you compare them to any other blanks for reference? Would a medium power fast action HM blank compare to a medium power fast action g-loomis mag bass blank?

Also, has anyone weighed any of these blanks?

Thanks for any help,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composites
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 11:20PM

Mike - looks like may get a prize for the first ever post to have no "expert"... :)

233 views and no replies? Someone, somewhere has to have bought one and can help out.

You could try posting on some of the bass fishing forums and see if any of the Kistler Pro Staffers fishing ZBones can help you out. They are built on HM blanks.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 07, 2010 07:17AM

I've weighed and measured quite a few models.

Forget about the "Medium" terminology...that's arbitrary at best. Look at the actual line and lure ratings to get a close comparison.

In the power class you're looking at, I've found the North Fork options to be very similar to what G. Loomis used to offer.

Shoot me an email if you want to talk specifics.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 12:53PM

I have seen a few NF blanks at Anglers WorkShop. They are nice blanks. The technology used to build these blanks is the newest on the market. An of course designed by Garry may have influenced some appearance of looking like the old GLoomis blanks. Being from the NW the blanks I saw were Salmon/Steelhead. As for using this type of blank for Bass fishing, in my own opinion would be a wast of good money. Reason the Bass guys I know and seen on the tube. Would be breaking them by high sticking and just general Bass abuse by throwing them around::)))

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 07, 2010 02:04PM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen a few NF blanks at Anglers WorkShop.
> They are nice blanks. The technology used to build
> these blanks is the newest on the market. An of
> course designed by Garry may have influenced some
> appearance of looking like the old GLoomis blanks.
> Being from the NW the blanks I saw were
> Salmon/Steelhead. As for using this type of blank
> for Bass fishing, in my own opinion would be a
> wast of good money. Reason the Bass guys I know
> and seen on the tube. Would be breaking them by
> high sticking and just general Bass abuse by
> throwing them around::)))

I have a couple of the NFC Mag-Bass blanks. They are nice enough blanks - straight and true with a good finish. I would be interested in hearing more about the technology being "the newest on the market".

As far as them being a "waste of good money" for bass fishing ... I will let the others pound you into the sand for that one - LOL.

Personally, I like high modulus blanks for bass and light inshore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 02:06PM by Jim Gamble.

Date: December 07, 2010 02:18PM

Jim from what I heard they are using 3m new resins an thiner graphite scrim. Pound me in the sand! I don't fish for Sand Crabs::)) Like I said I fish for real NW fish Salmon/Steelhead not some spiny water fish ::))smiling

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 07, 2010 03:23PM

Balcombe - too bad you can't win several thousand $ on any given weekend catching your NW fish. Breaking a rod may mean making good money. Occupational hazard. I know there are some tournaments up there, but nothing like for the green fish.

If you judge everything by the TV then I don't know why you'd spend that kind of money on a fish that swims upstream to die. I'd just go fight the bears and catch them up there - wouldn't you just need a net? :)

I'd like to hear more about this "new technology" they are using also. What are they doing different?

-----------------
AD

Date: December 07, 2010 03:42PM

Resins are thiner with better bonding, Graphite scrim thinner and tighter. Not downing Bass guys, but anyone can fish our tournaments. We do not have qualifying rounds. An We do not need sponsors so we can afford to fish a tournament. Some do but everyone who fishes a tournament has a equal playing field. Boat fishermen are separated from bankers. In most parts speed is not necessary only guides rush up and down rives in high performance boats. In some tournaments where boats are involved you get only one true pass threw an area, Remember We also have drift boaters as competitors (no power to get back up river). We mostly fish for fun not money like Bassers do. I would also bet that less than 10% make their expenses

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 07, 2010 04:54PM

Resins are thiner with better bonding, Graphite scrim thinner and tighter. - that applies to everyone so...

I think it shows there is a whole world of folks who only know what they see on TV. There is a whole world of tournaments for all levels of fishermen. Probably more than any other type of fishing. The vast majority have no sponsors.

Winning money is fun... so we fish for fun too.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 07, 2010 07:00PM

Bob -

I have fished the Pacific NW - North California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Good fishing and better hiking. The best place IMO was the large provincial park on Vancouver Island - Campbell River area. It was REALLY pretty and the fish are tasty.

Every area of the world has its formidable water adversary. Tarpon in Florida, smallies in NC, muskie in Wisconsin, barramundi in Australia, monster carp in England and prehistoric sturgeon in Oregon. Each offers what we are ALL looking for ... fun and excitement.

However, I would find it hard to believe that any particular species is more richly targeted than bass - green and brown (largemouth and smallmouth). A pile of money is spent every year on boats, tackle, trips, etc. just to pursue them. They are plentiful and tenacious ... with populations in 49 of the 50 states AND foreign countries.

IF you are correct about the high modulus blanks being a waste of money for bass fishing, you might want to hurry up and tell a few folks ... at G Loomis (NRX), St Croix (SC5), Lamiglas (XMG), NFC (HM), Batson (RX8) and others are going against the grain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 07:02PM by Jim Gamble.

Date: December 07, 2010 07:48PM

To each his own. Me I would go glass If I were to beat a rod to death, by throwing them around and storing them in gun racks and boat storage compartment and lets not for get high sticking. Now if I was just a average fisherm I would want graphite, Butt being a tournament guy To me they want something that well take the abuse and still keep ticking. I fish Columbia White Sturgeon. The biggest fish in North America I use a 81/2 10# graphite rod and have caught fish up to 13 ft. I have seen those English Carp rods they make good Pole Vault stick

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 08:13PM

Ive fished tournaments for about 10 years with high mod graphite rods. Never once broke a rod....ever. I feel high modulus is am absolute must for feeling light takes.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 08:36PM

Rods are tools for tournament fishermen. If it gets broken in a day of work, they go buy a new one. Just like a plumber with a wrench or a carpenter with a hammer.

They don't expect them to last forever because they get used and bought to be used.

28.4 million bass fishermen can't be wrong...

-----------------
AD

Date: December 07, 2010 08:48PM

::)))That is why some of us made money

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 13, 2010 10:34AM

Thanks for the response Mark and Alex. Mark, I'll send an e-mail cause I do want to know if the line/lure ratings translate properly for these blanks.

Date: December 14, 2010 11:03AM

Sorry, that should be thanks, MATT and Alex.........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster