I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need to cast 11/2 oz 300'
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 01:06PM

Hello all,
Need alittle help, guy wants rod ( spinning ) to cast 1-1/2 oz a distance of 300' to catch steelhead 16+ lbs. he will be using 30 lb. braid line. No rod length restriction, but need to be sensitive.
I know it's most likely got to be a fast action blank so he feels the bit. Some other craziness is he's up 50 ' above fast moving water, so this means fast moving bait, and quick to re-cast
I know the choice of reel size will be very important. Thanks for any help, Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to cast 11/2 oz 300'
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 01:12PM

David,
If you check out many of the surf rod setups, the distance and lure weights are not much different than what these folks do every day on their regular bay fishing trips.

Roger

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 02:03PM

That sounds like the rods that the people on the Columbia use for bank fishing sturgeon with. Some of those guys use catapults to cast the line out. Crazy to watch.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: December 06, 2010 02:56PM

Guys around the great lakes use home made air cannons ........... I have one and it will shoot it 100ft if you want it to ........... they are amazing

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2010 03:18PM

I'd suggest you build an 8 foot Hot Shot type rod suitable for casting that amount of weight. You can reach 300 feet without much trouble if you're a decent caster. Remember that more length, provided you/he can handle it, will help achieve the distance needed. There are many 9 to 10 foot light surf plugging rods that could easily do this job as well.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 04:38PM

try scott at fishsticks..he had some really nice light surf models by cts and also has the tommy farmer blanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 05:59PM

In addition to building the rod you might approach this customer about building him a landing net with a lightweight sixty foot handle.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 06:04PM

Phil
That's a really good idea....
Dave

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 06:37PM

David -
Rainshadow RX7's. This blank is a "go to" for me for bank fishermen ISA1266F although it may be a little longish it will do the distance.

Here's another MHX that should be a good choice: SA1025-MHX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 08:37AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 07, 2010 10:17PM

The folks at Lamiglas do a lot of Steelhead fishing and should be able to give you the best recommendations. There are several models for your consideration. Ron Arra, Super Surf, GSB and GSH(steelhead blanks).

Although 300' is not a great distance, it could be bothersome doing repeated fast casts with a short rod. I would look for something in the 10 and possibly 11 foot range.

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (69.140.163.---)
Date: December 09, 2010 01:38AM

10 or 11 ft...? Go with 7'6"-9'6" (why let it get into unwieldy and annoying when it can be reduced to reasonable) rated w/ 1.5-2 ounces on the top end of it's ability and in fast action so you'll have the sensitivity and backbone to be able to handle a fish once you hook into it...

For a reel, it's tough to argue with abu 6500's or 7000's (HSN). I was making 40 yard casts with a flick of the wrist and 1/2 an ounce on a 7 ft rod so 1 23/46's (yeah it equals 1/2 , just being different) on a little bit longer rod when your actually trying should be no problem. They have a fast enough pick up to make it easy on your wrists and can cast all day with little problem.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:33AM

Battling 16+ pounds steelheads from a cliff fifty feet above a raging river will require a rod which can do a lot more than cast 300'. This guy is going to need a fish-fighting rod of heroic ability. I suggest a ten foot telescopic rod which he can collapse down to four feet when he hooks up. This would give him the backbone and leverage necessary to play the fish under the conditions you describe.

Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2010 03:10PM

Have built quite a few spinning "casting" rods in the last 5-6yrs for what you are describing. Great Lakes pier casting. Some of my best casts with 2500, 4000, shimanos, and 3000, 3500 size diawas have been in the 120 meter distance w/ 1oz pyramid sinkers. Not the best flyers out there, but good. IN most instances though, 8, 10, 15lb braids were used, not 30 like what you want but here is what I have used for rods..

Sage CT 3113M (11'3" mod-fast blank)--concept system, 25 TYSG, 16TLVSG's, down to 7's, 6's or 5.5's depending on line
Sage CT2106-- (10'6' mod-fast blank) Concept system again, 25TYSG, 16TLVSG, down to 6's
Loomis ST1445 (12') fast action
Either of these two blanks would handle the weights and tosses you put out. I would recommend a 5000 size shimano with the propulsion line management systems, maybe 6000 even. And above all work on casting technique. Technique always wins out in casting distances...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster