I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Wrap Metallic
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2010 08:43PM

I just tried pro wrap metallic for the first time and was impressed with the toughness of the thread- the outer layer does not peel off as readily when the end of the thread is pulled back through as my other metallic thread did. Good stuff!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wrap Metallic
Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 10:05PM

Mike , Thanks fore the infoe , I though about trying the pro rap, mabe i will

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: December 05, 2010 09:03AM

Does it have a bunch of twist in the line?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 03:12PM

Andrew -
I just did a side-by-side of ProWrap against Rice, Gudebrod, Gudebrod HT, Gudebrod HT Electra and National Rod Winding. The ProWrap did not delaminate like Rice metallic, has less memory than Gudebrod HT / HT Electra. It is a little thinner diameter than Gudebrod (regular) metallic. Under heavy burnishing it does loose the surface color coating (as they all tend to do) but it ran through my power wrap (old school style) pinch tensioner without any problem and without loss of color. I also use Robison-Anton metallic J-metallic for gold - but there is no good comparison as that has the least memory - but is only available in a limited number of colors (silver, aluminum, light gold, government gold and pewter). Robison Anton pewter is a near perfect match for Ti finished frames.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.96.40.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 12:56AM

RA J metallic is available in several colors! I have red, blue, purple, green, bronze, copper, pewter, aluminum, government gold, silver, and pearl in the RA J Metallic. Love it!

I have 4 or 5 spools of the ProWrap metallic that I will try out shortly, mostly in shades of blue. The thing that holds me back is that they don't have the larger spools yet for the metallics. If I have to do a set of 6 or 8 rods, I would want to use the same spool of thread so I don't have to worry as much about one batch being different and not have to worry about the thread running out before the wrap is done!

Date: December 06, 2010 09:13AM

Tim -
Me too --- Want the larger metallic spools. All the way up to 4 Oz. I'll have to go visit the local RA ladies where I buy thread & get a color update

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.96.40.adsl.snet.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 01:07PM

You can go to the Robinson Anton website, they have much larger spools available, too. I use a lot of the blue, silver and Gov't gold. Without CP, they darken slightly and with CP, they tend to be a bit lighter in color, at least with the Chromaseal CP I use.

The ProWrap larger spools should be coming shortly, though!

Date: December 06, 2010 01:12PM

I'm luck in that I have a Robinson Anton dealer/distributor close by that I buy thread from in the large "maxi" spools. I just need to drive on over there one day

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2010 05:46PM

Andrew, I have some more experience with Pro Wrap metallic now, and I see what I think you are referring to. It tends to jump off the spool, looks like it is twisted. This is easy to remedy by just taping to the spool or running it into the spool groove after taking it off the wrapper tension device. So, so far, I like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster