I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What fly blank should i buy?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 10:50AM

I am going to be doing my fist build of some rods for Alaska. I will be using them for fishing Sockeye so casting is of no importance as we use them for flipping. We load our fly reels with mono. I am looking for some 9 or 10wt 9ft 2pc blanks. I want to keep it under 100.00 a blank. Durability is HUGE. What blanks would you recommend?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What fly blank should i buy?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 10:53AM

Batson (Forecast) IM-6 should work for you

F9010-2 Dark Blue Gloss 9'0" 2 10 0.487 5.0 Mod-Fast 2.75 oz. Permit / Big redfish / Medium Salt Water applications / large salmon

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2010 08:17PM

Not that I've built a ton of rods, but I have fished a lot in Alaska with different rods, so take my advice for what you paid for it.

The TFO TiCr-X is an extremely durable rod. It isn't the most fancy or well known, but mine has been used and abused and caught hundreds of salmon. So at least give it a look. Not sure if it's in your budget-should be close. For a discount rod, it's very good in my opinion.

I agree that the Batson IM6 (RX6) would be a good and inexpensive alternative. I've built 3 of their blanks that I bought through Utmost. Good stuff and recommended.

The Sevier salt water fly blanks are on closeout from Sevier right now. They are 4 piece (good for travel) IM6 rods and can be had for $30-$35. You could buy 2 or 3 and not break your $100 budget. I am working on one right now-a 10 weight- and while I have not fished it, it's a nicely finished blank and I assume will make a great rod. It feels to be on the "heavy" side which has got to be good for durability.

In our group of 4, we break about 1 rod per year. I have seen broken: 2 Sage XPs, 1 Sage VT2, 1 Winston BII, 1 Orvis Helios, 1 Cabelas PT, 1 St Croix (unsure of the model). I guess the point is, that any rod, no matter how good, can and will break if you mistreat it. One of our guys breaks a rod almost every year, and always when landing the fish with the fish up close. I no longer blame the rod...

Anyway, always have a back up or two on an expensive trip. I bring 2 fly rods and a spinning rod every year, and I'm the only one in the group who hasn't broken a rod (yet).

I am also curious about your technique? Could you elaborate a bit?

Good luck

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 08:54PM

In a 9 ' I always want a fast blank. I have had these cast several line weights and I have plenty of control over the distance with a certain weight line. There is more you can do with a fast blank. IMHO.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 11:45PM

Drew
As you know Sockeye run right next to shore and its a glacial river so very poor visability. We simply tie our fly on a 3ft leader and a few split shot. You just flip out a rod lenght from shore and drift your fly with the current. you will know when a red hits it just keep your line tight so you dont have a lot of slack. The Kenai is a pretty fast moving river so its game one when you hit a fish. I have used an Ugly Stik for years and you cant break them. They are also very heavy and its only 8ft wiht a spinning reel on it. Time for a 9ft fly rod.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Ken Killian (---.doa.alaska.gov)
Date: December 05, 2010 01:14PM

Kevin,

I think the Batson RX7 should fit your bill nicely. These rods are super tough and take a beating. I am here in Alaska and have built plenty of rods on those blanks. I use a 7wt Batson RX7 Switch alot and have had no problems, even though it may be slightly undergunned. I would use the 9, the 10 is quite a beefy stick and I build on those for Kings...

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2010 07:16PM

went with a guide in alaska and he furnished 9.5 ft, 7 wt, G. Loomis (I think gl2) rods that worked extremely well. I would build one of them in a heartbeat if I was going back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster