I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat removal
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 10:29PM

I read where you can put the reelaest in boiling water, and it would come off the rod. My ? is, would that boiling water hurt the graphite? and what other way can i do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat removal
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 10:50PM

Depends what epoxy you use to adhere seat to bushing. I used West System and boiling did nothing. I took a torch to seat and used a pair water-pump pliers. Epoxy held but bushing "ruptured". Yes - graphite can be damaged.

If you don't wish to save seat, use a Dremel with a cut-off disk to cut a grove parallel to length of seat and pry open.
Herb

Date: December 03, 2010 11:19PM

Herb, it is a St.Croix, an Legend Extreme, that I am redoing cause of a lot of wear and tear, I already took the cork grip off, and the glue they used was pretty hard even the dremel tool that I used had a hard time with the glue, so I guess I'll try the boiling water first and if not then I'll have to cut it off.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 08:26AM

Lorenzo, I have removed a few and a heat gun used carefully has always worked. Torch was a bad idea for me as I burnt the wood spacer and had to refinish it. Cork has to be cut and sanded off.
John

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 10:45AM

Lorenzo,
Whenever I am rebuilding a rod and am replacing the handle and reel seat, I will first use a pair of common slip joint pliers to chew away the cork. The inner jaws of the pliers are very coarse and will nicely chew away the cork down to the glue.
Then, for the reel seat, I will use a dremel tool or similar high speed grinder with an abrasive wheel on it to cut the reel seat lengthwise on 2 sides of the seat. Be careful when cutting through the reel seat that you only cut the reel seat, and not into the blank.
I then, use a heat gun, to soften the glue around the reel seat. I insert a screwdriver into the cut made by the dremel or abrasive tool and split the reel seat off of the rod blank.
Then, using the heat gun - not a torch, I will use heat to soften the glue. I find that with a torch, it is too easy to overheat the blank and damage the blank itself. But the heat gun, used in the right way, will apply enough heat to soften the glue that has been left on the rod. Then, I use a razor blade that is kept at 90 degrees to the blank, and scrape the softened glue off of the blank. Both in the handle area, as well as the reel seat area.

When, all has been removed, I will wipe down with xylene, and the blank will be ready for the new handle and reel seat.

Just use - enough heat, - on the glue without being excessive, which can cause blank damage. The use of heat in the butt section of the blank, is not quite so worrisome as it is in the tip section of the rod. i.e. the thicker butt section, can tolerate a larger heat range without graphite and blank resin damage. But still be cautious about the over use of heat.

Good luck
Roger

Date: December 05, 2010 04:26PM

Roger i finally got the reel seat off using the dremel with a cutting blade, and sanding wheel thing for the dremel, tried the hair drier thing didn't work, but the dremel did, thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 08:40PM

Lorenzeo,
When I talk about using heat to soften the epoxy finish, I am not speaking of a hair dryer, I am speaking of a heat gun that is used for industrial purposes softening paint etc.
IT would be similar to this one:

[www.northerntool.com]

or:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster