I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait rod
Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 08:35PM

i need to find a blank that is going to be used for cranks baits that is between 6'6" and 6'9". the tip needs to be no more than a size 5.5 in order to work with the micro guides. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thought i had found one but the tip was a 6, if this would work please let me know. thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait rod
Posted by: Garey Elkins (58.185.209.---)
Date: December 03, 2010 09:14PM

Maybe a Castaway Blank 803 Its from one of the sponsers to the left, Swampland.
6'8" Length
Line # 10 - 17
Lure Oz. - 5/16 - 3/4
PWR - Med
Action - Mod
Butt Dia. - 0.586
Tip - 5.5
Wt. Oz. - 2.3

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (70.97.195.---)
Date: December 03, 2010 09:15PM

WES...CHECK OUT THE LINK TO MIDWEST ROD AND REEL...WE STOCK THE BATSON CRANK BAIT ROD BLANKS...THERE ARE A FEW THAT WOULD WORK WELL FOR YOU [www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 03, 2010 09:17PM

St Croix is my personal choice ... [stcroixrods.com].

They do meet your requirement of a 5.5 or less tip sleeve. However, you can get larger tips AND you can do other things to accommodate. I wouldn't allow tip diameter to stop you from picking the blank that best suits your fishing needs.

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 09:25PM

the customer i am building this for wants as light a rod as possible. he wants microguides, skelton reel seat, eva foam, and wants it in a Med. Lt. action. thanks again for the suggestions though.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 10:09PM

Last I checked, they make micro tops to size 6, maybe larger. Why are you limiting yourself to a 5.5?

jeremy

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2010 10:17PM

acid rod has micro tips with SiC rings and tubes up to like 7 or 7.5.

should be able to use a blank you want. I have a setup like the one mentioned built on an rx7 CB66M. Very light rod - i've actually almost thrown the thing out of my own hand a few times. I only use it for poppers though, too short to be a decent cranking rod IMHO. If it was a spinning rod it would be better.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 11:06AM

Since you are speaking of a medium light rod, what lb test line rating are you talking about.
Most of the medium light rods, that I build on, have a line rating of 6-10 lbs.

If that is the case, most of these blanks have a tip size of 4-5, so the tip should be no problem at all.
The St. Croix wild river blanks make excellent crankbait rods.
Basically, I think that for an excellent crank bait rod, you want a rod with a moderate to slow action, and possibly with some fiberglass in the blank, to soften the action.. i.e many of the best crank bait rods are commonly called a composite rod.

As Bill has said from Midwest, many of the Batson blanks are specilized just for pitching crankbaits. Also, there are specialized crankbait rods in the St. Croix line as well. Mud hole has their MHX blanks with specialized crankbait blanks.

Before picking a blank, be sure to know the weight lure you want to pitch, the line weight of the line you expect to pitch as well.

Good luck,
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 12:32PM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 11:51PM

Shortening the butt of a 2 power popping rod blank would make a decent med light crankbait blank I think.

Posted by: Eric Harris (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: December 06, 2010 07:54PM

Call Bill at Midwest Rod and Reel. He has some nice crankbait blanks and service second to none.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster