I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TLNSG to TLSG : whats wrong with that??
Posted by: Greg Reali (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2010 09:45PM

Is there an issue with going from TLNSG's to TLSG;s on a casting rod? Are the TLSG's REALLLY too short to use? I've been digging and it seems that people haven't had a problem with them.

Is this an acceptable transition..... TLNSG 10 - - TLSG 8 - - TLSG 7 ???

Thanks.
Greg R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TLNSG to TLSG : whats wrong with that??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2010 09:57PM

Drop the 8 and go right to the 7 - the line doesn't care and your line path will be straighter.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2010 10:04PM

Greg -
If this is related to the earlier post (assume it is) - then (my opinion) the answer is dependent on the rod blank (flex); number and placement of the guides in association with total weight of the rod / intended use for the rod which definitely is associated with your question on transition - maybe yes / maybe no = depends on the guide placement / spacing (distance from reel / distance between the TLNSG and the TLSG). Why "distance from the reel to the first guide" - depends on how much the blank flexes AFTER the first guide (the rod taper between the double foot TLNSG and the second guide TLSG). IF most of the taper / flex takes place after the second guide then the 10 to 8 SHOULD work. I don't have that blank available nor do I have those specific Fuji guides - perhaps someone else here can replicate using exact parts.

Date: December 02, 2010 10:16PM

The rod is a Lamiglas XMG50 962LL it's the 4-8lb, 9'6"

The rod is being built into a casting rod.
The guides are as follows...... TLNSG 12, TLNSG 10, TLSG 8, TLSG 7, TLSG 7, TLSG 6........+ tip.

The concern is the transition from the 10 to 8, and the use of TLSG vs. TSG - which I'm pretty sure there's no problem with the T L SG usage. Just confirming.

Thanks to all - - I've had my hands full making this one work, and I'm still working on a solution with the builder, so any/all info is REALLY helpful since I'm going to call him up tomorrow and hash out the details one last time.

THANKS AGAIN!!
Greg R

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 02, 2010 11:47PM

There is no issue with migrating from TLNSGs to TLSGs ... spacing is key. You won't need more than 3 sizes to get from start to finish on a casting rod. Since that is such a long and light blank, the smallest viable running guide should be used. IF you can do TLSG5 or TLSG4, you should do so. The less weight you have on the upper 1/3, the better off you will be.

Date: December 03, 2010 01:41AM

Although I like the idea of smaller running guides, I do worry a little about freezing/ice in the guides. It seems that the smaller 4's and 5's would have an easier time getting frozen solid with water given their smaller diameter. Also, I might have a knot passing through the guides some times, depending on what I'm running. I would think the 4's might be a little small for that. uni-to-uni connection etc. I hadn't done enough investigation to know for sure. I wanted to play it safe.

I just hope to have the rod finished soon....if you read my other thread, then you know the situation....it's in the process of finding a resolution.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2010 07:41AM

Greg,

Drop the 8's and 7's and move right to the 6's. The line doesn't use the whole ring and doesn't care about any such "transition." That's something for the human eye, not the line.

You don't need all those sizes and using fewer sizes provides a straighter line path and less weight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 10:28AM

Greg,
If you are concerned about ice, and I am when making "outdoor" ice fishing rods, I seldom use guides smaller than size 8.

Again, the roeason for the larger size is the ice buildup. It is not a matter of if, but when the ice will build up on the guides when fishing in subfreezing temperatures on the ice. As a result, you need to have guides that are large enough to allow some ice build up and still allow fishing. Then, they need to be tough enough so that the rod can be tapped on the ice and have the ice fall out of the guides.

If, however, the ice rod is always going to be used in a heated shanty, then the guides can be much smaller.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Reali (---.losrios.edu)
Date: December 03, 2010 11:43AM

It's not an ice rod, and it's not going to see too many days that are cold enough to freeze. However, with that said, it will see a few, and the water squeegeed off the line, resting on the guides, will freeze up. I've had it happen on my 1141 a bunch of times. 6's were still ok and easily taken care of. I would be a little hesitant to run smaller given all the factors. It's just a preference for this particular rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster