I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do cut off a rod tip?
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 07:21PM

I have a few blanks that i would like to trim down to 6ft. They are graphite. How do you trim up the graphite rod blanks?

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do cut off a rod tip?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 07:36PM

I only trim from the butt. If I need a different tip, I usually buy a different blank. You can do it though.

I usually tape off where I want to make my cut with masking tape - to stop fraying and give me a cut line - and cut using a diamond wheel on my dremel. Never had a problem.

You'll hear guys using all kinds of stuff, but that's what I had the best luck with.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 07:59PM

Kevin,
Any abrasive wheel will work just fine.
You can use a high speed grinder, a dremel, a chop saw or something similar.
Quick and easy. I do it all the time and have no issues.
Roger

Date: December 01, 2010 08:18PM

Kevin,
This is the saw that I use for much of my rod building, to trim blanks, cut arbors, and clean up cork:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I remove the metal blade from the chop saw and replace the blade with a 3 inch abrasive wheel:

[www.harborfreight.com]

I keep a vacuum running behind the wheel to take care of any dust when cutting and it works very well.

I modified the saw by removing the rotating base, and grinding off all of the lettering on the base. I then attached a piece of 1/4X1/4 inch angled aluminum to act as a backstop for the abrasive wheel. I only wanted this saw to use in my rod building and I only wanted to chop at 90 degrees.
I then mounted the saw to a 2X6 to give some mass to the saw, so that it wouldn't walk all over the bench without being clamped down. I also put rubber feet on the underside of the 2x6 to keep the board and attached saw from moving across the work bench.
I place the saw in a small rubber maid container that is sitting on one end to contain any dust that might get missed with the vacuum.
All in all a very satisfactory system, that is quite compact and very suitable for any type rod building application.

Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 08:26PM

Roger -
Exactly the same "system" I use for all trimming work - and "tricked out" the same that is remove the metal blade & replace with an abrasive wheel, mounted on a 2x6 - the only difference it that I put a piece of non-skid rubber shelf liner from "Ollies" under the 2x6 rather than rubber feet to keep the saw from sliding around.

Date: December 01, 2010 08:32PM

Ken,
Great idea. I have a 30 foot roll of non skid liner in the shop that I picked up for a $ at a garage sale. I use this material all of the time under my other bench tools to keep them from moving as well.
Thanks again for reminding me.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2010 10:20AM

Thanks Roger, I've been looking at this same saw for quite some time. Clicked your second link for the abrasive discs and the saw popped up again. (Will a 3" wheel fit this?, mentions that it comes with a 2" blade.)

Thanks! Mike

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2010 11:04AM

Mike -
I found a bunch of 2" abrasive disks (bulk lot) on sale on that big re-sell site.

Date: December 02, 2010 11:52AM

Mike,
The 3 inch wheel fits just fine.
You just have to either run it without the blade guard, or make a 3 inch blade guard.
Or, as Ken pointed out you can always find some 2 inch wheels. I prefer using the 3 inch wheels due to the deeper available depth of cut.

Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2010 02:49PM

Kevin, Closing them in a car door or hatch back works great for a lot of guys. The problem is, its not always in the right place.
Me, I spin mine in a lathe and just touch it with the edge of a fine file or fine toothed saw.Wear eye protection!!! THAT'S ONE LESS TOOL YOU HAVE TO SUPPORT.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2010 08:53PM

Thank you Ken and Roger, appreciated. I've been using a dremel cutoff wheel with good luck but don't trust my shaky hands anymore!

Date: December 03, 2010 10:52AM

Mike,
If you use a dremel, try the following method.

Have a board that you don't mind marking up.

Lay the blank on the board.

Lay both of your forearms on the table and on the board, with one hand holding the dremel.

Have the tip marked. Then, with both of your forearms braced on the board, and the blank laying flat on the board,, hold the the blank near the tip wiht one hand.
Then, with the forearm of your "tood hand" braced on the board, just lower the spinning dremel to the tip and using the abrasive wheel, chop off the tip at the mark.

The key is to have everything braced by use use of the boards or bench top and not try to to the trimming in free air where the parts and tool can not be braced.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2010 05:36PM

Thanks again Roger! ...much like applying finish - steady as she goes!

Appreciated, Mike

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2010 08:45AM

I have used a fine-toothed E-xacto saw while the rod was spinning in the lathe, a hack saw, and even the jeweler's saw that is meant to be used for making cork checkerboards, but they all scare me a little. Thanks for the tip (pardon the pun) on the chop saw and I may grab one of those soon, although I think that would be best for larger rods. It would scare me for small fly rod tips, but then those don't need to be trimmed very often unless you are cleaning one up for a repair.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster