I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

distance to butt micro guide on spiral wrap
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 11:44PM

I am building a spiral wrap , on a 7'10" heavy power, fast act. Rainshadow RX8 casting rod, I have a 6mm butt guide and trying to figure the distance between the reel face and the butt guide, I'm thinking about 15 or 16 inches since it is a micro, does this distane seem to far or to close? My first spiral wrap . I'm going for the 0,60 ,90, thern the 180 degree type wrap, would it be a good choice to off set the butt guide like at the 10 degree, or keep it at the o degree?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: distance to butt micro guide on spiral wrap
Posted by: Brad Young (65.244.135.---)
Date: December 01, 2010 06:40AM

On the ones that I build I have started with 3mm butt guide and placed it 24 in from the reel and they seem to work fine. I dont think that it matters that you should bring the butt guide closer just because it is smaller than you normally use. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on this because I would like to know if I an wrong or not.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 06:48AM

I have not changed anything for position just becuase I am using smaller guides. I have been using the simple spiral more and more lately. There is not need to bring the guide closer, but I have know guys to do that for a flipping rod. I adjust my first guide a bit off the 0 degree postion but I let the line flow more determin just how much.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 09:59AM

on that first guide adjustment, moving the the guide off the 0 degree position, would it be moving it to the opposite side opposite side of the spiral, that is to keep the line in the center of the rod when it goes in the line guide on the reel, I may be wrong for its intent, but that is what I have read, I am new at this so, any how to do its, will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 10:57AM

Some have moved the first guide 10 degrees or so opposite of the spiral to make the line go onto the spool evenly. Myself I do mostly leave it at 0 degrees, I have not had issues where the line bunches up to one side of the spool.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2010 12:14PM

Lorenzo,
When you do a spiral wrap, you can pretty well have the guides position in about the same locations as if you were doing a conventional guide.
With respect to guide alignment or rotatation on the blank. I simply put them where it seem to make sense for a nice spiral on the rod.

Then, I will pull off about 50 feet of line from the spool, and with gentle tension on the line, reel the line back on the rod. As I reel the line in, I make note if the line is rubbing on any guide under this gentle pressure.
I also note if the line is piling up on one side or the other of the rod.
If I find that line is either rubbing on a guide, or if the line is piling up on one side of the spool or the other, I will rotate the guide (and or change the size and or postion of the guide) to releive the line rubbing problem and or the line spool piling problem.

Remember, everything with respect to guide placement, guide orientation, and guide size is a starting reference porint. But, each rod, each reel, each client is different and may need to have something changed for the best overall performance.
So, if something isn't working for you to your satisfaction, change what ever is not working until it works to your satisfaction.

This could mean a different number of guides, a different size or different sizes of guides. a different placement of guides, and a different orientation of guides.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster