I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

balance
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 04:43PM

working on a 7' spinning rod, i personally like the rod to feel balanced, not tip heavy, with rod balanced, may be a bit heavy after guides but not much, i tried to figure that in, she feels pretty good till you put the reel on then i have to admit she feels a little heavy, this is the reel that will go with rod, should i forget the balance part,

i know there has been a lot said on here about the subject, but typing in rod balance or just balance does not pull up what i need in the search box

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 04:44PM by Jim Creed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: balance
Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 05:14PM

There is a lot of threads on balancing, I beleive you have to select "All Dates" under option and it will pull a bunch of stuff in. Funny is I found that out today while doing a hopeless search on painting blanks. Heres a link:
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 06:53PM

My personal preference, as well as it sounds like yours is that you like balance. I would rather have to add weight if need be than to have a rod too butt or tip heavy.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 07:25PM

you were right the all dates thing worked out real good. i don't do many searches and missed that completely, thanks.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 07:37PM

TRy adjusting the butt grip length, or the materials you use in the grip. An unbalanced rod feels a lot havier than a balanced one, throw the actual wight out of the window. ALso kp in mind how ou will be fishing, whn casting and a lure on, that might mak a balancd rod feel unbalanced when actually fishing.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 28, 2010 08:51PM

Isaiah, Hopeless search on Painting Blanks?????? Take your own advice hit " All Dates " on the search feature. I tried it, and got 17 pages of info!!! Dating from 8 months ago to 9 years ago!!! By the way im not trying to be a Smart @##. im trying to help. Check out the search function again .There is a great deal of info on the subject. Cheers My Friend!!

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 09:17PM

It was a hopeless search on myside prior to changing the date range option.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2010 08:02AM

Jim,
If you do like to balance your rods, you might try lead tape:
Some folks use weight on the inside of the rod blank. This is really not a very good idea, because if you use weight on the inside of the blank, you end up putting weight up a good distance into the blank in an attempt to balance the rod.
Rather, you want to try to keep your weight at the extreme end of the rod handle. That way, you get the maximum weight balance arm, with the minimum amount of added weight. That is why some of the manufacturers have a threaded butt cap that allows a person to screw different sized weight on the extreme end of the butt cap to perfectly balance the rod.

If I decide that I am going to be using a short back grip on a long rod, such that I will need to have some weight in the butt section of the butt tip of the rod. I do this by wrapping lead tape around the extreme 1/2 inch butt section of the bare blank.
Basically i have found that if you place the reel seat and the reel - taped on the blank - that you can balance the bare blank, by having the rod and reel seat on the rod, and have a balance point that is about 2 inches in front of the reel. This generally works out to the correct balance point when the rest of the rod is put together.
So, I wrap a wrap of 1/2 inch lead tape on the outside of the blank, at the extreme butt section of the rod. For the typical cork handle, I make sure that I don't exceed a lead tape diameter that is any larger than 1/4 inch smaller than the outside diamter of what will be the rod butt. If I am using a rubber or vinyl butt cap, I just make sure that the butt cap will still fit on the outside of the lead tape.

This is a very simple and easy way to add weight that is invisible to the completed rod, and can make a very tip heavy rod, come out balanced. It is easy to overdo the weight, so use only the absolute minimum weight required to get the rod to where you want it to be.

[www.google.com]

Roger

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2010 08:38AM

You may have noticed that today's rod blanks are so light that when an ordinary reel is attached the outfit becomes quite butt heavy, or "out of balance." Does this mean that savvy rod builders should pour lead or concrete into the tip section of the blank to restore the elusive but desirable balance?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2010 06:10PM

I will not add any weight to a rod to balance it. The lighter the better. The issue of balance comes right up against other dimensional issues. Even with premium blanks and guides, most likely your rod will have a balance point slightly in front of the reel. To balance it, you have to move the reel forward. When you do that, just make sure that the butt behind the reel is not too long for the rod user. It can hang up on the clothing or arm of the user. I made a St Croix SCV 7 foot rod before I had the proper understanding of all this, and the butt was too long. It kept hanging up on my arm when jigging. I took one inch off the butt and solved the problem. This demonstrates, in my opinion, the importance of dimensions over balance. The rod, after altering, was a little more out of balance, but sure fishes a lot better. If making rods for small people, pay particular attention to how long the butt is (spinning rods, mostly).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster