I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting Blank
Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 03:33AM

I was pondering painting a blank white and wanted some input in to how I should go about doing it. The blank in quesiton is painted and was wondering if I should strip the current finish or just paint over it. I know painting is another issue, but Im hoping your comments will shed some light for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 03:34AM by Isaiah Bumagat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2010 07:06AM

Paint adds weight. I'd strip what's there now and then recoat with the new color. The final result shouldn't be too much heavier than the original product, although white over dark charcoal will require some additional thickness to color it well.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 07:41AM

Awlgrip will do fine. 2 coats...

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 09:52AM

Dang Kevin, how many blanks to you paint with Awlgrip? That would get expensive really quick! Great paint though.

Lane

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 01:07PM

Krylon Fusion has been successful for me. Its formulated for plastic lawn furniture so it adheres well with good flex properties. 2 coats for light color over dark blanks.

Terry

Date: November 28, 2010 01:53PM

Should I sand teh existing finish and stay away from solvents? If do what grit? Ive read a fair amount on painting the blanks, but never heard of Awlgrip. I have to check that out.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 03:19PM

Awlgrip is a marine paint. Many yachts are painted with Awlgrip. Also used extensively by home boatbuilders because it can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed. The paint is very high quality and quite expensive.

Lane

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2010 05:29PM

I have painted a few blanks white. I think they come out awsome with all of the lighter thread colors it allows you to use. I also looks best with black EVA grips.

As mentioned by Terry, Krylon for plastics is good and flexable.

I also have used automotive bumper paint. This is quite a bit more expensive and seems to require a few extra coats. I was able to buy a kit with Chemealeon paint. It is the paint that changes colors from the different angles you see it from. It is a three step process so it adds an extra coat or two, but it looks very cool. I always use the halographic guides and reel seat with it.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: November 28, 2010 05:34PM

I am leaning towards the Krylon, now what finish to use?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2010 04:57PM

I would save time and have it done by a auto body shop. I would strip of all the old stuff off lightly sand with wet/dry paper. Then take it in to have painted. I have had many rod done that way. At a cost of around 25 bucks. I have them add a flex coat to the paint and a top clear coat. I have had rods painted this way for at least 25 years and they still look good an work just fine. The other reason I take to a paint shop is they have the right materials and a heat booth plus experience to design your color combinations. It is a pain to paint your own rods!!~!

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ferdi Goldschagg (41.177.101.---)
Date: November 30, 2010 12:27AM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would save time and have it done by a auto body
> shop. I would strip of all the old stuff off
> lightly sand with wet/dry paper. Then take it in
> to have painted. I have had many rod done that
> way. At a cost of around 25 bucks. I have them add
> a flex coat to the paint and a top clear coat. I
> have had rods painted this way for at least 25
> years and they still look good an work just fine.
> The other reason I take to a paint shop is they
> have the right materials and a heat booth plus
> experience to design your color combinations. It
> is a pain to paint your own rods!!~!

Bob when you say you have them add a flex coat to the paint do you mean flex coat rod finish for guides?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 01:39AM

No Ferdi , It is an additive they add to the auto paint to let it flex with the movement of the rod so it will not chip or creak. It is the same stuff they use when they paint fiberglass cars and bumpers with.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2010 08:53AM

Paint is rather simple especialy on a new blank. wash blank with soap & water , dry with soft cloth, Find a dowel that fits in bottom of blank for a handle , this can be stuck in the ground or hand held depending on blank length or even supported by other means , ie wood block, pipe , etc. Shoot blank using nice even strokes , careful not to run , Let blank dry shoot clear coat same way.
Paint to use most any spray will work automotive paint such as DUPLI-COLOR work well and has a great variety of colors, KRYLON paint regular or fusion also good , same with RUSTOLEUM , For clear coat HELMSMAN by Minwax or polyurethane clear paint will work fine . As for "exotic" colors cameleon color and even "sparkle" colors that put multi-color sparkle flakes on the finnish. The paint realm is endless. As for white it wil lshow up better on a light color blank , for dark blanks a light color primer may be needed.
On a "used" blank it will need to be sanded smooth to remove any and all residue Ie, wraps ,epoxy and the like. I hop this helps.
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster