I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Sizing
Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2010 05:16PM

Is there a rule of thumb regarding reel seat sizing? For example, if a blank is 13.8mm will a 14mm work just fine or is it best to use a 15mm and build up to it with arbors? Which is better?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Sizing
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 06:10PM

If it will fit on the blank use the smaller diameter.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 07:49PM

Some seats, like the Fuji ACS are actually meant to be reamed a little bit; so, you buy one that is slightly smaller than your blank. That particular seat is graphite construction, and very easy to ream by hand.
Fly reel seats should be as small as practically possible, in order to reduce overall weight, but are difficult to ream by hand; so, buy the smallest one that will fit over the blank, and still hold the intended reel.
A spinning seat should have enough diameter to fill the palm of the hand that holds it.

Use arbors when necessary.
Sometimes a few thread wraps are all that's needed to take up the space.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2010 08:02PM

I size my seats to fit my hand.

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2010 09:51AM

George Forster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some seats, like the Fuji ACS are actually meant
> to be reamed a little bit; so, you buy one that is
> slightly smaller than your blank. That particular
> seat is graphite construction, and very easy to
> ream by hand.

Does that go for all casting seats, or is it different for an exposed reel seat and a full casting seat? If I am thinking about this correctly, casting reel seats built for exposed blank will need to be smaller and reamed to ensure the "window" is touching the blank, while casting reel seats built without that window can be sized larger and built up with arbors if needed, right?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 09:58AM by Tony Wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2010 09:54AM

casting seats I have the supplier fit them about 2 " above where they will sit. Then ream lightly to fit perfectly. This way the inside of the seat is prepped and has a better bond.

Then I prep all seats for better bond.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2010 06:20PM

Tony,
Whenever sizing reel seats - (i.e. seats needing an arbor) - I simply select the reel seat that fits the hand of the client.

If you are using a reel seat with an exposed blank concept, then you need to match the size of the blank. Try to obtain a reel seat that begans to get tight on the seat about 1 inch above the final reel seat position. Then, when gluing in place, the glue will lube and allow the reel seat to slide nicely into place with an excellent fit.

If in doubt, buy two or three seats and use the best fitting seat. You can ream the seats, and then clean up the exposed hole with an exacto knife, but it is nicer if you can slide the reel seat into positon, without any extra reaming or filling.

Roger

Posted by: Jon Schrock (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2010 10:39AM

Toney, You are are right on track with what it takes to size a exposed casting reel seat. I also do what Roger says and size the casting reel seat to fit a inch above final position it will be placed. Keep good records on the final placement of the reel seat and the size of seat you use on each rod you build. This will help you when ordering parts in the future.

Clearwater Custom Rods
Monroe, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster