I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What color thread should i use??
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 11:33AM

I am going to be building two rods for Alaska. they will be Batson Forecast blanks in Dark Blue Gloss. What color thread would look good for the rod guides? This is my first rod build so i dont want to get too fancy but i have no sense of what color goes good with dark blue. Like my wife says i am very color challenged. Thanks for your help!!
Kevin Gross

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What color thread should i use??
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:23PM

My personal favorite ... red, white and blue. My least favorite ... orange and blue.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:27PM

Kevin,
Great colors that go with darb blue are other shades of blue, as well as blue metallic.
For trim - silver makes a wonderful contrast.

Also, white is a nice contrasting color.

Generally speaking, when I make a rod like this, I will use a dark blue thread, that is NOT NCP and use no color preserver. That way, the thread blends into and matches the blank.
Then I will use a lighter shade of blue metallic, along with silver for trim.

---
when I check for color match on threads against a blank, I will take and put a dozen wraps on the blank. Then, I will wet it down well with Alchol. The color that you get on a non CP thread, or non NCP thread will be about the color that you get on a wrapped thread that has been well wetted with Alchol.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:46PM

take a look at the photo page to see what you may like.

Then you can try some colors on the butt of the blank and see how they look.

Regular nylon without CP looks good. The guide feet will show.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 04:37PM

I have built a few Forecast fly rods. Blue thread with or without color preserver looks good.

Date: November 25, 2010 06:42PM

I have tried to look at the photo's but it tells me i have to register. I am logged in and still cant see the photo's

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2010 07:43PM

Kevin,

The photoboard is separate from the forum. You need to register on that board too.

Joe

Date: November 25, 2010 08:43PM

I just found that out. I am now good to go!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:50PM

Kevin,
Often, when you are trying to figure out a color combination, just go out and look at automobiles in the color that you are trying to figure out.
See how the cars are painted. See what the colors of the interior are in the car. See what sort of contrasting trim might be on the vehicle.

Essentially use the cars as a big color pallate. Easy to see and visualize the color matches and contrasts.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Devin Murakami (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 02:05AM

Another simple thing which can be done and continue to use is to go and buy a color wheel. They make them small and rotatable. The only hard part if figuring out what the finished thread will look like.
Good Luck

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 26, 2010 06:46AM

Blue is a "cool" color and silver is also, so they can go together quite well.

I would go with a slightly different shade of blue than the blank and silver, you can't miss with that color combo.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 07:40PM

Below is a link to a color scheme design location. While it is primarily used for web page color layout, it use the basic color wheel concept to arrange color compatibility.

www.colorschemedesigner.com/

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2010 10:19PM

As some others have suggested, I would use some shade of blue for the main wrap color. Then I would add very narrow trim bands of white thread.

Posted by: Bryan Sirotkin (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2010 05:32AM

I'd say it all depends on what YOU want. I think that on a blue blank your best bets are going to be oranges, yellows, silvers and light grays or whites. You can also go with the overused Red, white and Blue or go with different shades of blue, but the reason you are going with a custom is to make it how YOU want it so pick your favorite color.

I know if it were my rod I'd go with a burnt orange or subdued yellow to make the wraps stand out. I know I have plans to be making one for a friend in Buffalo Sabres colors which are blue, yellow and white...

And if nothing else, ask your wife to choose the colors... then she can take the blame if they turn out wrong ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster