I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spey handle
Posted by: Robert Broome (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:04AM

Hi I am new here but have been doing a lot of reading of the topics on the site. It is an excellent resource for sure. I am going to build my first spey blank. It is a Sage 9150-4. I have a piece of Pacific Yew I have had in the basement for a few years and plan to turn top and bottom finials and a couple of spacers. I have some very nice flor grade cork for the rest. I am looking for some lay out plans as to lengths and dimensions. I would like to do a full wells style grip. I plan on using a skagit style line on this rod so I think there should be on the top handle a wells style grip close to the reel seat and then another one up high for casting. This is where I am not sure of what would be proper lengths and diameters to be comfortable to use and what the total handle should look like. Any ideas are definitely welcome. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spey handle
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:23AM

Lengths and diameters - your choice as to what best fits your hands and your style of fishing / casting. What you can do is go to a store that sells fly rods (with calipers/ruler in hand) pick up several rods until you find one that you like - or is close to what you like. Measure it and then modify the measurements (length / diameter) to your hands. I know this may not be the definitive answer you were possibly looking for but since this is for you you can do anything YOU want

Date: November 25, 2010 10:41AM

The ones I have seen are level after the well is made for the entire length. I am looking more for a double like putting two full wells together end to end. Do you think that doing that would actually work measure a full wells for a single and then make two and put them together?

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:09PM

As Ken said, you can make them in any configuration you feel comfortable. Spey fore grips often have a swell in the middle so you can slide your had around between casting and holding on the swing, sort of a reverse hour glass shape. I will often have a sharp feature at the end for the thumb or hand to rest against at both the top and the bottom. If you can imagine a regular full wells grip just extended to 13 or 14" long, you can certainly make something in this shape.

On spey grips, the top portion is much more important for fit than the bottom area near the reel seat. The bottom end rarely gets used as the balance point is farther up the blank. I have a picture of one I'm working on that isn't worthy of posting on the photo site but would give you an idea of one design. It's a fairly simple design with narrower dimensions top and bottom and a swell in the middle. Ends are rubberized cork (which you could replace with your yew). If you unhide your email, or just send me one I'll send it back to you.

I wish I could take the time to shoot better pictures and post some, or just save for my records. One thing to improve on.

Terry

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:33PM

Robert, take a look at this grip I built for a switch rod. I can give you measurements.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 25, 2010 03:39PM

How do I unhide my email?

Date: November 25, 2010 03:44PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robert, take a look at this grip I built for a
> switch rod. I can give you measurements.
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> um/Switch_Rod_Handle.jpg
This is very much what I am thinking of doing. Except for the centre where it will be another spacer of Yew wood.I like your proportions i ahve big hands and this looks to be a biger diameter which would make the handle more comfotable for me. I would appreciate your dimensions. Thank you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 07:05PM

Look at the R. B. Meiser website, some beautiful pictures of full wells grips similar to what you'd build.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 09:59PM

Robert Broome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do I unhide my email?

Click on your name (in blue) then "control center" then edit your email settings.

You also can click on my name and get my email and send me a message which I can return with the dimensions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 12:34AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2010 02:54PM

Robert,
Check your email

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster