I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split handles for spinning rods
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 09:44AM

I have searched the supply of Rodmakers Magazines, but can't find anything regarding making a spit handled spinning rod that I would like to use for large bass and heavy fish. I know that Van Staal makes a 6'6" jigging rod that is light and can take on heavy fish, and would like to make one such as that. Any help with info or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split handles for spinning rods
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:15AM

Sanford -
I'm not 100% certain what your question is. If you do a search here for "split grips" you will come up with a lot of threads to read up on. As far is making a split grip spinning rod: Yes, I often make split grip surf casting spinning rods. Any blank of your choosing based on your criteria for "light" and can take on heavy fish will work just fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:43PM

Sanford,
A split grip is very simple to make.
1. decide if you want any fore grip at all on the rod. Many of the split grips use no fore grip. Just a plug on the front of the reel seat and some trim for the front of the reel seat.
2. Then, you set the position of your reel seat.
3. Decide on the amount of back grip on your reel seat, as well as the shape of your back grip. A common length for a back grip is about 4 inches.
4. Decide on the amount of space between the back of the back grip and the front of the butt cap area.
5. Decide if you want to counter balance the rod at all. If you do, then it makes sense to use a counter balance, at the very extreme end of the rod blank , before applin the butt section. I will commonly use 1/2 inch wide lead tape wrapped on the outside of the blank to counter balance. Then, I ream out the butt area cork - typically 2 or three rings - or 1 to 1 1/2 inchs of butt section.
6. Finally decide on and apply any butt cap that you want for the rod.

So, simply put, you have a butt cap, a butt section of the rod, that is typically 1-2 inches , blank space that is commonly used for a hook keeper, or labels, or trim, the back grip of about 4 inches, the reel seat, then then trim or if you want a for grip, add a fore grip and then trim.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 02:30PM

You can go to major retailer websites, see examples as far as the look and action is. Then go to the suppliers, find what you want. Almost all of them have what you will need. Also look at some kits from Mudhole, or other sites.
Roger did an excellent job of breaking it down. Have fun!

Kyle Robinson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 02:31PM by Kyle Robinson.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 08:01PM

Thanks for the help guys. The issue with me is to try to make a light rod that can be managed within reason when a fair sized fish is hooked. I know that there is no one rod for all purposes, but here in the Northeast, when fishing for bass, more and more, we sometimes come up with a tuna, and I would like to be ready for that. I have noticed in the shops more and more light rods are being made for casting to heavy fish, and they seem to be doing the job. It is easy to cross the line in choosing what I thought was a light blank, that turns out to be heavier and more awkward to use than was wanted, so I am trying to find a happy medium. I don't mean to ramble on, but it's a lot of work, and I appreciate the advice.
Sanford

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:55PM

Sanford,
Any time that you go to build a rod, you need to consider the type line and the type fish you are going to try to catch. A fisherperson is not a happy camper if he/she hooks into a big fish and then find that they don't have an adequate rod to handle the weight of the fish.
So, yes, lighter rods can be a lot of fun, when working heavier fish.
But you need to walk the tight walk wire of going light, but not so light that you end up with equipment problems when you "accidentally" catch the fish of a lifetime on this "lighter" rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2010 10:36AM

Sanford,

If you are looking for blank suggestions, you might try some of the salmon/steelhead hot shot blanks. They have a very light tip but very good butt strength for larger fish. The original intent for these blanks is to back-troll plugs where the light tips enhance the plug action. However, many have used them for salt water applications very successfully. The Rainshadow HS9001 is rated for 8-20lb line with a tip size of 5.0, length 7'6".

Roger has given you the straight scoop on split grip configurations.

Take care.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster