I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook Keeper on Fly Rod????
Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 24, 2010 07:48PM

Trying to finish up a fly rod. I have installed a carbon fiber grip. My question is... Do I need to install a hook keeper on it. This is only my 3rd fly rod to build. I didn't put one on the other two but they did not have a carbon grip..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook Keeper on Fly Rod????
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 08:53PM

Many of us do not use a hook keeper on a fly rod as it usually means bringing the leader/tippet back within the guides. I wrap the leader around the reel base and put the fly onto one of the guides up the rod. This makes it much easier to then begin casting again without having to work the leadre knots through the guides. I also build custom fly rods and almost all my customers DO NOT want a hokk keeper.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.213.225.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 10:41PM

Brad,
I typically add one to all my rods, fly or otherwise.
If the customer chooses to use it or not is his choice, not because of my exclusion.
I would add it unless requested to omit.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:25AM

Sure...why would you not put one on? All due respect to Phil, but just because you leader is now within your guides, is totally irrelevant to me. I see his point, but still not a consideration to me as the edges of some reels could mar the leader.

Good luck!
Paul

Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 09:59AM

I always ask and customers always want one on the rod. I never put them on my own rods because I wrap around the reel and hook onto the stripper guide to keep the entire leaders out. I do have to add that I have not ever thought about the concern that Paul has brought up about the reel possibly marring the leader. While I have not seen that happen it certainly is a probability. Thanks for bringing this to light Paul.

Posted by: Steve Cox (173.26.80.---)
Date: November 25, 2010 10:47AM

I don't put them on my own fly rods anymore cause of the ease and extra length afforded to attaching the leader to an opening in my style of fly reels. However if a customer wants one, they provide a great opportunity for a smart / handsome wrap on the butt section., They look very nice and add insignificant weight to the butt section.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 11:11AM

I'm afraid I don't understand what a hook keeper has to do with whether or not you have a carbon fiber grip. Can you please explain?

Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:30PM

I have seen where people would just put the fly in the cork grip instead of a hook keeper. With a carbon grip that is not an option.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2010 12:53PM

Brad -
That's one really good reason to use carbon fiber grips - to keep people from destroying a nice cork grip. I normally install a hook keeper on fly rods not because they are necessary but because 1/ It's what people expect to see and 2/ keeps people (sometimes) from impaling a hook into the grips

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: November 26, 2010 06:41AM

I'm with Phil, that's a top tip for any fly guy, attach the fly to the stripper and loop the line around the reel. When you're ready to go, unloop the line from behind the reel and tap the rod, the fly will fall off and you'll be casting. Impresses friends as well.

Why don't you look for a hole punch kit for clothing laces. Just don't crimp it on, it'll have about a 1/4in" long shaft and about a 1/4" or smaller hole. Use your dremmel and bore a hole for it in the bottom edge of the carbon handle with the opening pointing down. Glue it in place and you've got a hidden hook keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster