I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how far past the guide foot ya reckon
Posted by: mitchell read (---.dialup.xtra.co.nz)
Date: November 22, 2010 03:48AM

hay guys building a 250 gram jigging rod on a synit dps 250
any way it is built very light no real bling bar some gold winding checks and some gold and black tiger wraps now i have only gone past the end of the guide feet by 5ml they look small but what do u reckon is there a max or a min or am i just gona make the rod a bit softer
hmmmmm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how far past the guide foot ya reckon
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 22, 2010 04:55PM

I try to make about 5-6 wraps before starting up the foot. I reckon that would convert to more than a double hair, less than a smidge.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 06:52PM

I'm still in the learning curve of what I do differently when going for maximum weight reduction. I used to just tape guides in place and wrap away. Working with smaller guides is akin to "introducing a color". You get 5 turns down, place the guide under the incoming thread, and wrap right over it. Another 5-10 turns later you try to wiggle it forward, under the threads, and hope to burnish and pack well:)

How can any of the wraps, not over the actual guide foot, add strength?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 08:30PM

Mitchell,
You can make your main wraps as well as your trim wraps as long or as short as you like.
What ever looks good to you, go for it.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 09:18PM

I start my wraps 1/16th to 1/8th inches in front of the guide foot. I am metrically challenged, so will let you figure out how many mm,cm,km, or what ever this works out to. I am building ultra-lite to light spinning rods, and fly rods. Once I figure out what wrap I am going to use on the rod, I set my dividers, and use the same measurement for each guide.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: John Etheridge (---.sub-75-204-70.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2010 10:11PM

I ussually go 1/8 to 1/4, whatever looks right. Seems like personal preference to me. John

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 22, 2010 11:48PM

Mitchell,
5mm is about 25 turns of A thread which is more than enough. You could go less as mentioned above(5-10 turns). The difference in weight is negligble and unless you've got a set of laboratory scales you wouldn't be able to measure it and I doubt you could tell the difference in the finished rod. Do whatever looks good to you.
ESFNEM Col

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster