I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Military Christmas Party Rods
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 11:38PM

For those of you who have ever built rods for charity type of events how did you decide on blank choice? I have a command Christmas party coming up that I was asked to build a couple of rods for. I offered up a couple of casting rods... Since I am a Marine who is in a Navy command, I decided I would do one in a theme of the Marine Corps and the other USN. The audience will be comprised of those who don't fish, those with Wally World specials to individuals who tournament fish (me, Commanding Officer and a few others) and everything inbetween. I was leaning towards something in the neighborhood of an RX7 ISJ782 or ISJ783, MHX SJ782 or SJ783 or a comparable Castaway. What do you all think? I am in the Virginia Beach area of Virginia.

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Military Christmas Party Rods
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 20, 2010 10:11AM

Tom, i don't think you can go wrong with the Blanks you are considering. Two years ago i purshased a Batson RX7 ISJ782, i was so impressed with that Blank that i purchased 4 more of them. Yesterday , on the many recommendations i have received on Mudhole's MHX Blanks. I threw in one MHX SJ783 with the order that i placed on Friday. Hope this is of some Help Tom...Cheers!!! Wayne

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 20, 2010 10:17AM

Whenever I've been asked to do something similar to this I always try to make what I would term a "universal bass fishing rod" even though I know there is no such thing. I try to think of of the finished rod as being the one I could take fishing if I were limited to having only one rod, recognizing that it may only perform really well with one or two techniques but will perform reasonably well with several others. That way I'm more assured that the rod will have more general appeal than a rod that is targeted for one specific purpose - say a flipping stick. Since a flipping stick isn't practical for much else the rod's appeal would be limited to those who use that technique and/or want another rod of that type. I also think that the rod should appeal to both the serious tournament fisherman and the casual, few-times-a-year fisherman. A more middle-of-the-road rod could conceivably be used in a practical manner for crankbaits, spinner baits, pitching jigs, worming, etc. and perform reasonaly well. My goal is always to present a rod that is obviously custom, excellently made, and intended for use although I have had some get mounted on the wall for show and not taken down. I take extreme care to make my rods look good but I take greater pleasure out of someone telling me that it fishes good .

Since you mention Castaway, Lance at Swampland has been a great help with projects like this when I've called on him.

Sam

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 20, 2010 12:58PM

In your area you also have ocean fishing. I would do a quick look and sea what these guys/gals fish for.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 11:12AM

My favorite general purpose bass rod to date has been Batson's RX7 ISB802.75 blank. Are you thinking of a bass blank or a SW blank, as Bob has suggested?

Here are the ISB802.75 specs , 6' 8", 1, 6-15, 3/16-5/8 .515, 5.0, X-Fast. I've used it wade fishing for smallmouth and for fishing out of a kayak. Very versatile as a bass blank, if that is your intent. A minimalist approach yields a beautiful rod.

Rick

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 09:14PM

most of of the guys that I have talked with are bass or panfish fishermen.Not too many in the saltwater thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster