I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waterslide decal availability???
Posted by: Jim Pizzale (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:20PM

Decal Connection does not have waterslides currently, and not sure if they will in the future?
Anyone know anything about this, or have suggestions?
I've always had the cleanest, clearest backrounds with waterslides vs.stick ons. Hope its temporary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waterslide decal availability???
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:34PM

IF you didn't call Debbie and inquire, you should. 931-436-5021.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:37PM

I'm a bit surprised that you notice their waterslide being better than their Peel -n- Stick. I first tried their Peel-n-Stick the last time I tried to order a waterslide when they were out, and I'll never use a waterslide again. I simply cannot see the edge of the Peel-n-Stick any more than I could see the edge of their waterslide version, and the Peel-n-Stick is a lot more user friendly (for me at least). Mind you, I've used other stick-on decals in the past that were NOT from Decal Connection and they did show an edge and were somewhat difficult to align and remove bubbles from, but they were an entirely different "animal" than what Decal Connection has to offer.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:44PM

Jim,

I ran into the same thing not long ago and accepted peel and stick decals as a substitute. I was so pleased with the result that I'm not certain that I want to go back to waterslide. They were very easy to apply and the result was just as good as any water silde I've ever used. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Decal Connection peel 'n stick to anyone who hasn't used them before...and as has been mentioned here many times - Decal Connection is great to deal with.

Sam

Posted by: Jim Pizzale (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:51PM

That's good news....only peel and sticks I have experience with are St. Croixs, so you can understand why I was so concerned.
I lumped all peel and sticks together.....my error/ignorance.
Thanks for the replies and info.....

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 09:00PM

I also used the peel and stick decals and was very pleased

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 10:04PM

Ill never use waterslides again. Thin peel n stick for me.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2010 12:16AM

Decal Connection's Peel & stick are made on a very thin substrate (much thinner than most) and with the surface protection/application film are a dream to work with! I was skeptical until Debbie convinced me to try them......I'm sold and won't go back to waterslide.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2010 09:44AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle is working on a water slide deal for those that like them. In the mean time we offer a <1mil very clear peal & stick. We can print in metallic gold and silver or white. Custom decals are available in 2 formats:
1) Simple text decals with three lines of text you can order directly online at [www.mudhole.com] these decals are great for adding that personal touch to individual custom rods – customers name, rod information, rod builders information.

2) Custom Graphic Decals which you send us your art work. This is an economical solution for those in the business looking to purchase 30 or more decals at a time with their company information. Read more about these at: [www.mudhole.com]

Either of these decals can be printed on pre-cut decal “rectangles” approximated 5/8” x 3” with rounded edges mounted on a simple peel off carrier sheet. Or they can be printed on a continuous film which you can cut with a sharp razor to the size you need.

OR if you want to try your hard at “old school” lettering on rods, give one of the metallic pens a try (just practice on a scrap blank first). [www.mudhole.com] If you want to try the pens, we recommend writing on our decal film first, cutting it out and transferring it to the blank (this works very well on small diameter blanks, were writing on the outside circumference of the blank can be difficult) [www.mudhole.com]

If you have any questions on these decals or on sending us art work, please contact Gary Gillett toll free at 866-790-7637 x115 or email him at gary@mudhole.com and he will be happy to assist you.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: chuck brown (---.sip.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 10:22AM

Thank you to all of you who gave kind remarks concerning the peel-n-stick decals. We strive to produce a quality USA made product and promote top customer service. Please feel free to contact myself or Chuck (931-561-0027 or 931-436-5021) if you have any questions regarding the waterslide material. I will be happy to talk with you about the material and the options we have available. Decal Connection and Bill-Mar Decals wish each of you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

Debbie Brown

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: November 22, 2010 10:52PM

Hey Friends,

Each media has it's particular properties. I used to use waterslides all the time until I started testing P&S for my rods - now I use P&S for several good reasons. If you install them on a glossy blank you don't need to apply the layer of epoxy like you need for a waterslide. And with no water, you don't need to let the decal dry before you apply the epoxy over the decal. You do need the epoxy layer when placing P&S decals over a matte blank. The P&S decals are usually somewhat thicker than W/S but I can cover them properly with two coats of ThreadMaster Hi-Build, American Tackle Hi Build and Diamond II. I always applied at least two coats on a W/S decal anyway so it was no additional work for me with P/S decals.

I discovered one more nice thing about P&S decals on small blanks like the new St Croix SCIV-II 3 wt blanks. I can get a larger decal on a smaller blank because as I stick the left edge of the decal and align to stick the right side of the decal, the decal remains flat until I start to press it to the blank. A large waterslide of the same size will never do that as it will immediately fall to the blank and grab - then oh crap! - because it's thin and wet. That was all I needed to change for good.

Earlier this year I had severe issues with the film on the W/S paper base from my supplier separating while in the printer - poor adhesion until wetted - this is obviously not a good thing. That also is what made me switch to the P&S media.

Good luck with your decals. Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster