I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Moderate action 8' 4wt fly recommendations?
Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.net2.whitworth.edu)
Date: November 17, 2010 02:44PM

Looking for a moderate action 4wt fly rod in 7'6" - 8' range.
Absolutely love the Anglers Workshop Chalkstream, but they don't carry the 4wt in that length.
Have considered the Winston TMF, don't care about name-brand.
I want quality, light weight, quicker recovery in moderate action and don't mind paying for it.
Just not sure what my other options are. Any favorites that you can share? What else should I be considering?
Thanks for your time and replies.
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moderate action 8' 4wt fly recommendations?
Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 03:57PM

Look at the Batson Forecast line..see link below
[www.batsonenterprises.com]
This would be the most moderate blank we carry with those specs.

The Batson TEAM
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.247.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 05:30PM

Mike,
You might look at the Winston IIT, Sage TXL-F or Sage ZXL.
Also look at the Thomas & Thomas Paradigm. Wonderful casting 3 and 4 weights.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.net1.whitworth.edu)
Date: November 17, 2010 06:16PM

Thanks Eugene,
I actually have a TXL 3wt and ZXL 4wt, and they are a bit faster than I am looking for. With TXL blanks being discontinued you can get some great deals on them, so I am considering going that route, but again, it just isn't what I am looking for.
I have also considered the BIIt, but thought that if I am going to pay that much money, I should get the TMF, which is a true moderate action rod.
I have not considered the T&T paradigm models, I will look into that. I know there is nothing in the area that will allow me to cast them or try them out, so I will have to do a bit of research and reading. Can you subjectively describe their actions or compare them to the Sage models you mentioned? I see that they do make the Paradigm in an 8' 4wt so that is a bonus.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 06:18PM by Mike Ediger.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 06:37PM

I never seem to get quick recovery and maderate action in the same rod. I tend to like light, fast rods overlined if I'm looking for quick recovery with a moderate feel. Did you ever try overlining your TXL?

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.net1.whitworth.edu)
Date: November 17, 2010 06:45PM

Good point, and I have tried that. Now I may be way over-processing, but you know how obsessive we can be about these things.
When I did over-line my TXL with a 4wt line, while it cased fine, I just didn't like the feel of the line both picking it up off the water and laying it down; both ways it just felt too heavy. I felt like I lost some of the lightness, and it just didn't seem to fit. I didn't feel like I was casting a light moderate action rod, I felt like I was casting a heavier version of the TXL. I never got this feeling over-lining a fast 5wt or 6wt, which I have done, and it worked to my advantage.
So that is a good idea and I appreciate the suggestion, but either real or percieved, I just didn't like how it felt.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:26PM

I like St Croix blanks. There are quite a few offerings that meet your specifications in the SCIII lineup.

BTW, for anyone that hasn't seen it yet ... St Croix has their new 2011 site up and running. Including the NSi information (Nano Silica resin) incorporated into the SCV/VI blanks and a new Offshore Saltwater series as well.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.215.244.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:46PM

Mike,
The T & T is slower and smoother than the Winston or Sage. Very easy casting stroke with a timing between bamboo and graphite. Good range out to 50 feet with a very delicate presentation.
A good dry fly rod for the 20 to 40 foot range. I'm more in favor of faster rods but the 2 weight 8 footer was sooo smooooth. I think that was discontinued though, like all my favorite rods.
Check the top line fly shops in your area for some casting time. It's too expensive to take my word alone and what feels good to me may be far from what you like.
Good luck on the quest.

Larry,
I've had better response from my rods by building lighter and under-lining.
Generally I'll use light wire single foot titanium for the top three guides to reduce swing weight and increase rod response. I'll also drop 1 or 2 guides from the total guide train. This allows me to feel more of the line weight shift while making the rod tip respond quicker. You may have to adjust your casting stroke to shorten it up. Less arm rotation more wrist snap to create tip higher velocity. I'll also underline 1/2 to 1 full line weight or use a blank 1 line weight higher than I plan to fish.
What blanks are you routinely using ??? If the blank starts heavy with a shallow taper it may not be well suited for quicker response without increasing rod flex and requiring more sweep.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 08:27PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 10:02PM

Eugene,
Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna definately look into what you've suggested. As far as what I like to fish, I'm probably into alot of the same rods you are. For me the faster the better!! Not to say that I like rods that don't load in close though. I like soft tips, but I like to feel the reserve power building up long before the bend gets to the handle. I use fast action even on my home waters of the Wisonsin spring creeks (you can step across alot of them) . As long as the ERN falls with the right line weight and not too high, with a tip of at least an AA of 70. Progressive fast tapers? LOVE EM!!! Sorry for highjacking the thread Mike. Back to the subject !!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2010 11:58AM

take a look at spinning blanks also. may be a little faster unless you can find numbers you like.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 18, 2010 01:56PM

I forgot about the Avid line. Good thought.
Don't worry about tangents or highjacking, my brain works on tangents most of the day.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: November 18, 2010 04:36PM

take a look at the dan craft FTL in the 8 foot 3 wt 6 piece configuration. works great as a pack rod and felt wonderful when i fished it. it quickly became my favorite rod for dry flies on my sierra streams. i used a struble D27 reel seat with single foot wire guides and i used a DT4F line on it.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 04:37PM by eric zamora.

Date: November 18, 2010 06:12PM

Thanks Eric. I have built a Sig V before, so I will check this out. In fact, I wouldn't even need to build another rod if I hadn't lost my older 8'4" 3/4wt which was my favorite rod.

Mike

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2010 08:49PM

I have a couple of the old GL-3, 8', 4 wt, 3 piece blanks and would not mind parting with one if that would suit your needs. To me they are a crisp mid speed blank.

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 20, 2010 03:40PM

Thanks Bill. I have a feeling they might be a bit fast for me since I am really looking for a moderate action blank. I will see what i can find a description of this model. Why don't you send me an email with a price and if you have fished them your impression would be helpful.
Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 20, 2010 10:14PM

The moderate taper Finesse Temple Fork blanks might work, Angler's can advise you.

Date: November 24, 2010 06:17PM

Just an update. I ended up choosing a 7'7' Highlander Light from Talon. This is my first experience with them, but I am excited.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mike

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.213.225.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2010 10:50PM

Mike,
Not familar with that blank at all.
If you post specs for the butt , tip and weight I can do some preliminary analysis of blank characteristics.
If not please post your results and opinions.
Always looking for a new favorite blank supplier.

Thanks,
Gene

Date: November 25, 2010 02:17AM

Gene, shoot me an email if you want.and I will give you some info. I would send it directly to you but your email is hidden.
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster