I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Business Decals on Rods
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 11:09PM

I am curious as to how many put their business decals on a rod. I have always felt that if someone is paying top dollar for a rod customized to them, they should be entitled to it being their rod wholly without any other markings than that of which they specify.

Is the similarity closer to an artist signing his/her work, or business branding?

I am rethinking this ideology, but wondering how many do and do not put business logos on your work and the reasoning for doing so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 11:27PM by Sean Cheaney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals on Rods
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 11:28PM

Hi Sean,

I always end up with what the customer wants for an inscription. I always start with what I "usually" put there for information. It's my logo and business name, rod information and serial number, customer's name. If the customer wants something different, or less then we work it out from there. Everyone I've built a rod for, wants the makers name or business on the rod, which I encourage him to show all his friends. I encourage rod information and serial number so that if it comes back for a repair, I can match it with my records.

It is very much like an artist's signature and many customers request a hand written signature rather than a decal. If you put a lot of hours into a work of art, you'd like to have your signature on it somewhere.

Terry

Re: Business Decals on Rods
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 05:16AM

My "Roadhouse Rods" logo goes on every rod I build, it is small and neat and I always place it on the underside of the rod, I think a top shelf custom rod without the builders name or logo would be like owning a Porsche without any badging. JMO

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:37AM

Every rod walking out of the door has my logo prominently displayed on the top of the rod.

Exceptions include the sponsored pro who cannot have my logo displayed or it will cost him sponsorship $. This doesn't apply to the guy who is just getting a 20% discount for any factory rods he buys - I'm talking about the guys who are contractually obligated to use certain equipment. I handle these on a case by case basis as they are a dwindling group these days.

Outside of that, I typically charge an additional $25 set up fee for rods without my logo. My justification is having to develop a decal outside of the standard template/offering. It doesn't compensate for the advertising I lose, but I find it helps the logo find it's way back on the rod in most cases. (That's only happened a couple times... most folks expect the logo to be on there)

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 09:28AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2010 09:24AM

I've never had a customer object to the matker's name or logo being on the rod. In fact, if you have done a good job building a positive brand image, most customers will likely want your name or logo there as a matter of pride. I suspect most folks who buy a Rolls Royce certainly want that company crest prominently displayed on the grille for just that reason.

Of course, you can always ask the customer if he wants it, or not.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 17, 2010 10:37AM

Sean -

This is how I accomplished it ... [www.rodbuilding.org]. With a lot of help from Jimi and Debbie at Decal Connection, a template was developed for Fuji NPS and DPS seats. IF you are interested in doing something like that, just get in touch with them.

Jim -

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.50.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:15PM

Jim, that is an interesting solution to that problem.

With something like that it is clearly a rod from you, yet it also done in such a way that is unobtrusive to the finished rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:28PM

Sean Cheaney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> done in such a way that is
> unobtrusive to the finished rod.

Yep, it disappears the minute a reel is mounted. I no longer ask and they no longer question it.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:26PM

I find that more people who want fly rods want an absolutely minimal visual "billboard". When I build, I tend to use a certain specific type of grip material (anymore) and certain specific threads, components and decor for my rods, I don't feel the need to include a large logo to advertize - and my customers like it that way. (You almost have to squint to see my decals). Also, I refuse to use the rod blank manufacturers decal. Why should they get that much credit? I simply put the basics - i.e. - 9' 4 wt. 4 pc. on a small decal in a color to compliment the rods overall color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster