I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CSS Data Site
Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 09:19AM

"Internal Server Error" when I try to gain access to CSS Data site. Is there a work-around or is the site permanently down? This has happened today and yesterday. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CSS Data Site
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2010 09:21AM

I believe that Bob Hesser is no longer maintaining it.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 11:22AM

Here is a database for CCS. do not know who is maintaing it....if anyone is. Also do not know it's accuracy. I made mistakes in my first attempts att CCS. Therefore if different people are posting this data....not sure how accurate the data itself might be.

But there are a lot of rods listed if you are looking for something.

[www.sexyloops.com]

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 16, 2010 12:00PM

It appears that he obtained some of Bob's CCS data, I spotted a few rods I had posted information for.

Jeff

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 16, 2010 06:55PM

Those listed are ALL factory build rods, not blanks. It appears that the factory portion of the original site was placed here.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2010 04:21PM

Tom is correct that I've basically stopped adding data to the site due to time constraints.

The data can be accessed at this link and I will continue to try and correct the issues with the original site:

[www.wetconcepts.com]

Sorry for the inconvenience. - Bob

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: November 17, 2010 07:52PM

I've never built a website like this but what about the concept of letting people add their own CCS results?
A simple front end to enter the data should be pretty easy to develop, and a results page with sortability based on manufacturer, ERN, AA, etc. would be very user friendly.
To minimize work vetting of the results can be done by the community - if we have enough samples it should be easy to see the miscalculations, etc. plus manufacturers could enter their own results (i.e. mudhole, north fork) for everyone to see.
CCS is so powerful it is a shame not to have a shared database with as much information as possible.
Rick

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:22PM

Rick,

Bob's site originally allowed you to do just that. Sadly, for every person that submitted their data, ten more didn't. At some point it becomes a lot of work for very little reward.

In the meantime, there's a lot of CCS measurements there. Copy it all for future reference.

Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:28PM

Anyone is free to make their own site and I'd be happy to give them the existing data in a spreadsheet.

As it is, I don't have any time to devote to an updated format or to keep it current. I keep the site available because the cost is minimal since it's on a sub-domain to an existing site. If someone would like to build the site, I would be more than happy to host it. The only caveat is that you have to give me the updated format in a form where i can just upload the files and point to the new content. I was approached a few years ago to have an auto-submit feature, but there wasn't anything included by the author that would prevent a bot or spammer from flooding the site with garbage, so I stayed with manual updates. I solicited the rodbuilding community here a couple of years ago for any takers, but no one stepped up to host the site on their domain.

My apologies to those that have submitted data that I've been unable to get posted.

It was just pure luck that I had some downtime at work and dropped in here today. Had the thread gone to page 2 I would have never seen there was an issue with the data pages, lol.

Bob

Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 09:36PM

The original site is back up. The hosting company made some security changes and i needed to make some changes to my access files. Sorry for the interruption in accessing the data. My offer still stands for anyone wanting to come up with the necessary site construction to change it over to an auto-submit system that can't be easily flooded by spammers or bots (or host the site on their own domain).

- Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster