I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alternative for foam grips on gaff hooks
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: November 14, 2010 11:21AM

I picked up a mudhole gaff hook kit for some ice fishing lake trout friends of mine. I turned my own grip out of block EVA foam. Im not real thrilled with an EVA grip. Under extreme cold conditions I am concerned pieces will chip off when the grip gets knocked around when it is well below zero. Anyone have experiences other than EVA that they can share? Cork tape? Flocked heat shrink tube?

I will still put on the door knob butt cap but am looking for different grip material. What have you found that works? thanks - Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alternative for foam grips on gaff hooks
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 11:58AM

Hypalon maybe? Sure would be tougher.

DR

Date: November 14, 2010 12:02PM

that's a thought. I can't use preformed grips because I have to take way too much material off to get them to fit, even with greasing the inside of the grip with epoxy. I can not ream a straight hole in a preformed grip, especially 12" long. So I have to either use a block of foam or different material.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 14, 2010 12:08PM

Cord/rope will work. The larger the diameter, the thicker the grip. It can be sealed, or not, as desired.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 12:23PM

Buzz,
Why don't you make a cord grip on the Gaff. Virtually can't be destroyed, looks nice and the rope gives a nice grip in all conditions.
Also, not costly.

Quite a few links around on instructions for making such a grip.

Basically wrap the gaff handle with cord, seal it and you are done.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 04:47PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Buzz ; heres a hand gaff I made for a friend

Date: November 15, 2010 09:09AM

Barry., can you send me the actual address for the photo? For some reason I can't view all pics even though I am logged in. Guys, I think I will try the cord wrap idea. Never done it before. This will give me a good excuse to try something new.
Buzz

Posted by: Kris Victorino (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 11:01PM

Barry,

I have built several gaffs for charter boats, and I use tarred twine/cord. I usually "half hitch" it, which gives it a knotted spiral look and provides better grip. Cork tape also works real well. If you need pictures I can send them to you.

Kris

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 12:50PM

buzz, are you registered to view the photo album? the forum and album both need registration...username and password...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster