I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat bushings
Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: November 14, 2010 08:11AM

Hi Friends,

I got from a local company some PU foam plate - the guy pointed it's the same people use in the surf boards.
Pushing it with my thumb I see it's not rock solid (anyway masking tape is not rigid at all !) and I would like to try it instead the classic masking tape bushings.
As it's not that easy to rebuilid a reel seat gluing process I would like to ask you:
- Give a try on the "surf board" PU foam complete bushing (I will need to turn - lathe -it in a cilinder)?
- Follow the classic recipe of masking tape bushings?
- Any other thing I can try?

All the best for you!

Rogerio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat bushings
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 09:00AM

Seems like a lot of work to save less than $1. That's what a pair of graphite arbors normally cost. I like that a lot of members try and find new and creative ways to save money or refine a process, but this seems like you may trying to re-invent the penny.
"just my opinion",
Good Luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 10:57AM

Rogerio,
I imagaine that this foam is very similar to the foam arbors sold by Flex Coat and some other companies.
I am sure, that if you want to put in the time, that the foam would work just fine to support a reel seat.

How does the texture, and density of this foam compare to either the Fuji, or Flex coat arbors.
Both of these are excellent products and folks have essentially 0 problems to support a reel seat with either of these products.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 12:56PM

.02 = ANYTHING is better by far than masking tape bushings.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2010 05:02PM

I use mesh Drywall tape bushings

Date: November 14, 2010 06:25PM

Jeff - thanks I will consider the input - unfortunatelly outside USA things are not that available.
Roger - thanks I will try to create a "prototype" and see the results.
Ken - thanks for the feedback
Barry - thanks for the feedback

Date: November 15, 2010 02:25AM

Rogerio--- I never thought of your having an availability problem..."duh". Now I understand why your trying to do what your trying to do. Anything is better than masking tape. Good luck with your tests.
Jeff

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 07:24AM

I think the drywall tape hollds up much better than masking tape. How ever I like the foam arbors the best. although, I don`t know the availibility to you.

Let us know your results even though we don`t have a lot of surf board dealers in North central Ohio.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: November 15, 2010 07:24AM

OOOOPS, double post

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 07:26AM by Bill Eshelman.

Date: November 15, 2010 09:15AM

Bill,

By the FC video I saw their bushings cover almost all the reel seat. The graphite bushings are sold in smaller versions (length).
How do you use it? Connected or spaced? Wich space size?
Thanks!
Rogerio

Date: November 15, 2010 09:17AM

Jeff,

Don't worry! I apreciate your input anyway.

Regards,

Rogerio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:32AM

IF I use tape I use 1/4" One in the middle and one near each end of the seat. BUT ONLY if there are about 6-8 turns of tape. Any more and I go an arbor. With a good prep of the blank and seat. this way the glue adhers the seat and the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 15, 2010 09:33AM

IF I use tape I use 1/4" One in the middle and one near each end of the seat. BUT ONLY if there are about 6-8 turns of tape. Any more and I go an arbor. With a good prep of the blank and seat. this way the glue adheres the seat to the blank.

OOPS

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 09:33AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 11:24AM

Actually, I have to respectfully disagree on the use of masking tape for bushings. If you use masking tape with a bot of a gap between rows of tape, and then use epoxy to fill the gap, there is really nothing at all wrong with the use of tape.

As long as a tape bushing is made this way, I have never seen one fail or cause any issues of any kind.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 15, 2010 11:58AM

Just do not wrap the tape on the blank completely. Then the seat will stick to the tape - BUT - the tape will loosen from the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 15, 2010 01:21PM

The size depends on the reel seat. 16 mm 17 mm 18 mm ? Depends on the rod you build. They go in as one piece and you first epoxy the arbor to the seat, making sure it sits in the center where the reel feet go. After epoxy dries just ream the arbor to fit the blank. It is extremely easy to ream and much faster.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: November 16, 2010 11:43AM

When I use the graphite arbors, I always place them on the blank, so they will be 1/8" inside each end of the reel seat. I epoxy them to the blank, then coat them with epoxy "tops and sides"... then before the reel seat goes on, Coat the inside of each end with epoxy. "always scuff the inside of the reel seat where the arbors will sit. Then just slide down over the arbors. Usually let mine run on the dryer for an hour or so to let the epoxy spread equally around the arbors, blank & reel seat making good coverage everywhere. Just my way of doing it.
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster