I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old reel pre War ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 03:26PM

Had a guy come in with this pre war reel. said it was 60 or so years old. Wants a rod built around it

Any one know any thing about this ? Got to be some kind of drift reel ???

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Free spool with reel feet on the back of the reel. he said it has to go to the side of the rod.
Wants to use it for black-fish and cod. he will be using 30 to 80 lb mono line.

The reel feet I had to straighten. They were slightly bent.

Any ideas and or links that I can find some info on it

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old reel pre War ???
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 04:55PM

[www.orcaonline.org] If anybody would know,its the gentlemen found there.

Posted by: Nick Cannisi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 07:35PM

Bill it is called a side winder reel they where used in Brooklyn during the 20's to 50's, there are some fellows that still use them here for Black fishing and Cod fishing.

Posted by: Nick Cannisi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 07:38PM

I forgot to tell you the rods that they were on were made of calcutter bamboo and agate guides . ps i have about thiry of them my son still fishes with them

Date: November 14, 2010 09:33AM

Thanks guys

I registered on that site.

Any suggestions on blank, guides and setup. He wanted to go on top with the guides but I was thinking - semi-spiral it to the bottom if I can talk him into it More stable.

Maybe two three double foot guides and single for the runners. If going on the bottom. Doubles for on top.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:42AM

could that reel posibly be a PRE MAX ? They were very popular with cod fishermen as well as great lakes deep water salmon fishermen , and they were "sidewinder" style reels. Larry

Date: November 15, 2010 09:22AM

Larry

What is PRE MAX ?? It was given to a customer so I will have to ask

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 06:45PM

PRE-MAX is the name of a "sidewinder" style reel , most often found in reel / rod combination , some with bamboo , steel and in later years solid fiber glass . They were used a lot by cod fishermen and deep water salmon fishermen .They also produced just the reel by itself , some were used as salmon fly fishing reels. PRE-MAX since the late 20s - 30s all the way up to the early 70s always used the same design , wood grip reel rod with guides on top . I hope this helps . Larry

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 11:41PM

YOu can still buy Sidewinders, they are $180-$200. Stella MAris in Sheeshead Bay has them. As nicky pointed out pople still use them today, th boat I fish (Ocean Eagle) will always have between 4-12 guys with a rod rigged up with this reel. Most of the rods guys have this on are aLami 114 or 963 cut to 7'6. They usually spool with Mono but some do have braid on th rel. I was asked today to build a Seeker Inshore Heavy fora Sidwinder with 50# mono.

DO NOT SPIRAL THE GUIDES. Thtis the biggest goof and hack move you can do, everyon who uses th reel fishes it at differnt positions, th majority of the time th rel is facingdown, so it yousemispiral the guides will be onthe 90 degre plane while the guy is fishing which trust meis a gigantic eyesore. SOmeone else tried this and it was a major fail.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:47AM

Billy

Thanks for that info. he wanted it with the reel at the right side and the guides on top.
I was thinking on the bottom for a more stable rod

They fish it with the reel at the bottom or facing down

Where are the guides -- on top When they hook a fish how the heck are they reeling it in - It they reel with the reel at the side, the guides will keep twisting the rod - Sounds like a real pain ??

Got a lot to talk over with this customer

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 11:52AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 05:52PM

IT' simple - build it like a standard guides on top rod. That's all you need to do and he will be happy. THey fish with the reel facing down, the crank the fish in with the reel on the side, they lift fish into the boat with th reel facing down again. Forget stability, or anything else, just build th rod the way all the othr Sidewinder rods are built and you'll be good.

Date: November 16, 2010 09:17PM

that's easy enough.

Thanks Billy

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster