I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

using steelhead blank for redfish
Posted by: John Etheridge (---.sub-75-202-229.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2010 09:20PM

It was suggested to me that a steelhead blank, say 8'6", with the butt section cut down a bit, would make a great redfish rod. I would be sitting down in a kayak and this concept sounds good as I would end up with a 2 piece rod that could stored in the truck, but end up long enough for a distance cast. Drawback is also the length as fishing the mangroves would make it easier to get caugt in the branches at a murphy's law event. Anybody tried this with good results? Would be using aero split grip and making butt grip about 7 to 7.5". Green abalone between cork at butt, thanks for any feedback. Maybe try a tiger wrap above grip? Thanks, John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using steelhead blank for redfish
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 12, 2010 09:56PM

I think having the tip longer than the butt section is likely to cause tip damage much more often than having used a 2 piece 3 or 4 power popping rod blank of an 8 ft length like those built by Batson and others.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 13, 2010 12:04AM

The new XP line from Batson is what I use personally, but that is for slot size drum, when I am targeting the big boys I use a Seeker inshore lite.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 13, 2010 10:08AM

My favorite redfish blank is the former G Loomis HS9000-2. This is a two-piece, 6-12#, Mag-Light Power, Extra-Fast Action blank. NFC is offering the SSP767-2 as a direct replacement and Mud Hole offers the SJ9000-2. I much prefer this blank over an eight foot popping rod, the action and mag-light butt are awesome for inshore use ... better balance and power.

In respect to the mangroves, you are going to need a totally different blank - something along the lines of at least a 8-17# and much shorter, 6'6" is my preference. There are multi-piece options there as well. St Croix 3S66MHF-2 and the MHX SJ783-2.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 13, 2010 10:23AM

I think you should give a hot shot blank a try. You can get them in 7'6" or 8'6", one or two pc. I see no reason to cut one down as they come in a range of powers. IMHO even the lightest offering, a hs9000, needs a 10" (or longer) butt for me with the aero in a downlock.

Use care in looking at the ratings. They are often listed for trolling weight, not casting. I wouldn't cast much more than 1/2 ounce on the hs9000 or 3/4 on the hs9001.

They are an interesting rod. I don't think they can be beat if you are looking for maximum casting distances with the lighest possible lures yet require fish fighting strength. They aren't for horseing snook out of the mangrove roots but the Loomis hs9000 has a reputation as a flats rod that can cast 1/16 of an ounce but still give you a chance on permit and tarpon upwards of 30-40 pounds.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 10:41AM

I have just come back from a Perdido key trip where the SJ9000 from Mudhole landed reds up to 18 lbs. Not from a yak but from the side, and i use the aero grip too. 10.5 inch handle, split grip.Never once felt like i was running out of stopping power.Fly #4 Minima 4's as running guides, 25,16 8 M frame minima 4's to get the line there,ALPS #6 tip and a 2500 Daiwa with 8# stealth braid. Used the same rig to fill the cooler with White trout for eating and still enjoyed the smaller fish with that rod. As mentioned above, great for getting small baits up to 1/2 ounce a good distance away .

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 06:38PM

Having never fished for Red Fish, how big do they get, are they fighters, are they jumpers and runners?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 13, 2010 07:41PM

The record is 91#, the Florida record is 51.5#. They grow to 30" and 8# in just four years, a fairly typical inshore size. The fall brings the 40"+ fish to the flats and that's when we have some serious fun. They DO fight and they don't quit. No jumping, just multiple hard runs. Redfish are actually red drum, if you want to look them up.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 13, 2010 11:22PM

I would give Karry Batson or Todd Vivian at Mud Hole a call. To Me a 81/2 ft med/lite would be a fun rod is 8 to 10 lb class

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster