I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 Foot Heaver Surf Blank
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 12, 2010 09:23AM

Does anyone know if there's a true 10-foot, 8-10 + bait heaver blank out there? There are lots of heavy surf blanks in this power class out there, but every one I've found is 12 feet and up, and I'm looking for something in the 10 - 10.5 range, and I can't find a single one.

I would be open to the idea of cutting something, but only if someone else has tried it before (my few pathetic forays into blank modification have been nothing short of disastrous, so trimming blanks is something I leave for others. I will trim small amounts, like an inch off a butt, because this doesn't affect a finished rod much, but there ain't no way I'm taking a 12'6" heaver blank and lopping off two and a half feet).

Is there something out there that can be made into a shorter heaver? Or am I going to have to do experimentation, and meatball surgery, on something longer to get what I want?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 Foot Heaver Surf Blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 12, 2010 09:35AM

How about this : [www.mudhole.com]

And I am sure there are more.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2010 06:18PM

Sounds like a SU 1209 Batson 20-60# I think it was rated to 12oz I built on conv its like a long cue stick!

Look for a 9ft and add a extension to make it 10 ft

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2010 08:24PM

Might be hard to find but the All Star SW1209 graphite or All Star 1207 glass both are 6-12oz. I do know where to get 1207 glass blanks.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.commercial.cgocable.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 05:44PM

My favorite 10 ft. bait & 8 blank is the Lami 1221MH. It will throw 8-10 with the best of them. I built mine specifcally to fish The Point.
Lami rates the rod to 16 oz. but thats bit optimistic to say the least.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 17, 2010 08:46AM

Thanks, guys. Lami 1221 it is. I've seen this blank, and was hoping someone who's used it would chime in (thanks, Clyde). It looks good, but I'm always wary of Lami's blank ratings. Cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster