I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tuna rod
Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh16rt-07rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:02AM

I am building a 7', 30-80lb Tuna Rod for RFS and was wondering if a Spiral Wrap would hold up on Tuna, or would a conventional wrap would be better. I am not using roller guides or top.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:20AM

Yes, the spiral wrap will work very well on the rod. Check the American Tackle Virtus guides

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:42AM

A spiral wrap will hold up better than a conventional wrap because the guides won't be trying to twist themselves around the rod.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 11:09AM

I personally build all my heavy rods such as Tuna and Halibut with the spiral Wrap design. I like to use the ALPS Centra Lock Reel seats and the ALPS SS316 XN Guides. And of course Rainshadow Blanks>>
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Batson TEAM>>

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 06:12PM

I just finished fitting all the parts for the same rod so this would be a great starting point ! You may want a bit shorter rear grip and I used size 12 just for overall abuse and knot clearance. This rod is a beast!

Rod Blank Model # RCJB84XH Rainshadow 7' 1 pc Extra- Heavy 40-80lb [www.batsonenterprises.com]
Butt cap: AXG25-S Alps 25MM Gimbal
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: BR11-875 11" Rear EVA
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH24M-S Alps Centra-Lock Alum Machined R/S - Silver-ALPS
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BSFS14-.625-.750 14" EVA Fore grip
Winding Check: BH11
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XPPZT12R09.0 Alsp SS316-RRD-P Top 12 'Z' Ring 09.0 Tube - Chrome
1st guide from tip top XXNZG12 180 degree Alps SS316- XN guide with Z ring-Polished frame
2nd guide from tip top XXNZG12 180 degree
3rd guide from tip top XXNZG12 180 degree
4th guide from tip top XXNZG12 180 degree
5th guide from tip top: XXNZG12 180 degree
6th guide from tip top: XXNZG12 180 degree
7th guide from tip top: XXNZG12 160 degree
8th guide from tip top: XXNZG16 90 degree
9th guide from tip top: XXNZG30 20 degree

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12-16.5-21.5-27-33-39.75-47

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:26PM

Thanks to everyone that has posted.
Kerry, thanks for all the info on the guide spacing and the axis the guides should be placed on. I am using Aftco hardware and fuji guides. I have a friend that has an Epilog Laser and is going to trick up the reel seat and gimbal for me. I have split my rear grip and did my butt wrap on the bottom. I hope to continue the wrap above the front grip. I know this rod will get alot of abuse. I hear that TUNA are one of the top 3 ultimate predators. This has been a fun project for a predominately freshwater rod guy.

Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 09:34AM

Bill Batson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally build all my heavy rods such as Tuna
> and Halibut with the spiral Wrap design. I like to
> use the ALPS Centra Lock Reel seats and the ALPS
> SS316 XN Guides. And of course Rainshadow
> Blanks>>
> If you have any questions please feel free to
> contact the Batson TEAM>>
>
> Bill Batson
> CEO
> Batson Enterprises
> www.batsonenterprises.com
> batson@batsonenterprises.com
> 877-875-2381

Bill
how well would this Blank perform built as a spinning rod to sling a tuna popper? Some of the cast will need a little distance to them, or would this blank just be a little to much tip?

Gulf Shores AL

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 02:51PM

I think as long as the popper is 4-8 oz you could load that tip up fairly well but maybe a bit to stiff of action to keep the plug in the water. The IMU69XH would be worth a look at for a popper spinner [www.batsonenterprises.com] it has about 12 inches more tip flex.

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh16rt-07rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 05:38PM

All the materials for these builds were all donated to RFS (RODS FOR SOLDIERS) by a fellow builder down her in Texas. I volunteered to build the rod and they sent me the materials. I thought the reelseat was to lightweight for Tuna (being graphite) . And even though this is my first tuna rod I knew the graphite reelseat had to be replaced along with the rubber butt they sent. I don't have a clue how the blank will load with this or that. I have never fished for Tuna. Some guy out west are taking 13 veterans Tuna fishing free of charge and the guy in Texas thats over the program asked for volunteers to wrap the rods for them and they would supply the materials. I just hope whoever gets this rod loves it as much as I loved building it for them. They, the soldiers have all gone the extra mile for us and I love to give back when I can.
Thanks again for the input and the conversation.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 05:45PM

I build donation rods for the PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America) tourney that's held every year on the Potomac River. This is a fantastic organization that really gives back. They partner up veterans from the major hospitals with pro and semi-pro bass fishermen who donate their time/boat/gas for the tournaments just to get the vets out on the water. They have regional tournaments all over the country. I'd recommend to anyone that they donate a rod or two to them.

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 11, 2010 07:16AM

Yea Ken, I'm with you on that. I love to give to the Vets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster