I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan wrap and Recoil guides
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 10:34PM

Building my 4th rod and finally took the plung to invest in some excellent components. Building a Dan Craft Signature V 9' 5 wt with Recoil single foot guides.

I've never used Recoil or single foot guides. For a fly rod should I consider using a Forhan wrap or is that unnecessary on this build? Also, never done a Forhan wrap but I read the article in the library and I think I understand it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan wrap and Recoil guides
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 10:40PM

I recommend using the Forhan wrap, it is good insurance against a potential problem. I use it on all my single foot fly rod warps regardless of guide brand.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 10:50PM

Ok, I have only built 3 rods, but, I've done a Forhan wrap on 2 of them. It adds only a few seconds and essentially no weight to a build. There is no down side to doing it. Just make sure the alignment is good before you wrap, since the Forhan wrap does make it harder to adjust.

I just completed the wraps this afternoon on an 8 wt. RX8+, and every wrap save the 2stripping guides has the Forhan wrap.

Drew

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:00AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recommend using the Forhan wrap, it is good
> insurance against a potential problem. I use it on
> all my single foot fly rod warps regardless of
> guide brand.

+1

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:08AM

An alternate opinion: I don't use Forhan locking wraps on the first 3-4 guides (from the tip) because I would rather have a guide pull free, than snap the blank in the tip area. I do use locking wraps on the rest of the guides.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 07:48AM

I use the Forhan wrap on all my single foot guides. I've never had a guide pull loose on rods without it but it is very simple and I think adds a finished look to the guide wrap.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 11:29AM

Out of dozens of fly rods I have only built one (a #7) without the wrap. But unless you are really going to abuse the rod, in which case he blank will prob break before a guide pulls, you do not need them. I just do it - "just because".

I have two 12yr old GLoomis GLX fly rods that do not have the wrap and there has never been an issue. The guides are on solid.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 09:27AM

Another alternative is the old 5 turns after the ring.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 09:38PM

thanks for all the feed back. got my guides taped on to the recommended spacing from Dan Craft. Wow! This rod throws great. It felt almost effortless and smoth to cast. Felt like I could feel the line the whole time I was casting. Can't wait to get it finished. Headed to the White River in Arkansas for three days over Thanks Giving and want to give it real work out.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2010 09:56PM

This is how I do the Forhan wrap & would like to know if this is the correct method. When the thread starts to climb up the guide foot or frame leg, I put 2 wraps to the right, assuming I am wrapping left to right, then 3 wraps around the foot and 3 more wraps to the right of the foot. Thanks

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 10:05PM

Dave -
Check the LIBRARY - write up with photos step-by-step

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster