I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building class...What choices do you give
Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: November 07, 2010 09:20AM

Hey Guys,

For those of you that do rod building classes for students, what choices do you offer in terms of style of rod and components?

Do you require them to make selections before you start the class, or do you make the selections and they all build the same thing for the first rod? Or do you have some sort of compromise between these two extremes?

Rodney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building class...What choices do you give
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 11:30AM

I have helped in classes, and I would you suggest you have limited thread colors, and they would all be dark, or NCP threads. I am basing that on the time I saw wasted by people trying to use light colors and CP. I'd also suggest you hide the metallics. I'll leave the rest to those with more teaching experience.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 11:54AM

Our fly fishing club offers a rod building (fly rods) class once a year. It is done in 4 sessions approx. 4 - 5 hours each as follows.

Session 1.) Individuals select blank and materials to order. (not all the same) This session is done one month ahead of the remaining sessions, which are done weekly. (all on Saturdays) This provides the time needed to have all the components together prior to starting the building.

Session 2.) Fitting & mounting handle, mounting tip top & laying out guide locations.

Session 3.) Prepping guides and begin wrapping guides, Participants finish wrapping guides at home before next session.

Session 4.) Applying epoxy to wrapped guides. This is practice only on scrap blanks as participants apply finish to their rods at home after this session.

We have had from 14 to 20+ participants in past years and the weekend after next, we will kick off (session 1.) with 17 participants. We usually have 4 or 5 instructors for each session and all are available between sessions for assistance where needed.

Our club supplies the: site, tools, epoxies and thread for a very nominal fee. Our head instructor has developed a couple of short videos he uses to cover items like, guide prep, wrapping and epoxy application.

Approximately a month or so after the last session the participants display their completed rods at one of our regular monthly club meetings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 12:05PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 04:32PM

For first time builders I would have one series of blank kits available. This way everyone is on the same page with the same questions. Once they have done a basic rod. Then you can up grad it to a more advanced class. No matter what you do someone well need extra help. Just look at the question posted here

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 07, 2010 05:04PM

All good suggestions. A couple more: Ensure that you have adequate help, especially if your students are kids or teens. Get full kits from one of the sponsors on the left. I've used those from Batson Enterprises in the past. Excellent program. See if the supplier also provides a "teachers kit", with everything you'll need. It's tough to have a class and go through your own stock. Make sure you start with B or D thread, easier to demonstrate. If you are teaching adults, class length can be fairly long, with teens, make them shorter and have several. I've also heard from others the the hardest to teach are the adults!. Most of them already know everything! There will usually be one or two students who "get it", use them as mentors. Teaching can be a lot of fun, also a big headache at times.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 06:18PM

Having good light is also important. If you can't see clearly it really makes thread work difficult. I have found the normal room overhead lighting is usually not good enough, especially for those of us that are a bit older.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 07:19PM

Rodney,
Another good thing to have on hand is a group of head mounted magnifiers.

Work is so much easier when the wraps are magnified with the use of the magnifier.
Even those folks who have good vision, do a better job with a magnifier.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 07, 2010 08:38PM

I believe I got my head magnifier from Acid Rods. If you do not have a set an do allot of wrapping you soon will

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: November 08, 2010 02:48PM

I've started teaching classes ,not rod building, at the local community college. A few things I learned by doing this.
1. always practice what you are going to teach before you get to class.
2. do it the right way first and show short cuts later.
3. it's easier if everyone is doing the same thing. applied to rods, everyone does fly rods or spinning rods. don't mix.
4. some people get it faster than others. patience is key.
5. you will remember things you thought you forgot.

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: November 09, 2010 01:45PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice and tips. I really appreciate it.

Rodney

Date: November 09, 2010 03:31PM

Never rush from one procedure to another. Always expect allot of questions an there is always someone who always wants to build the ultimate rod from the get go. I would recommend a 101 class, this well weed out those how well lose interest fast, because they think rod building is as easy as one, two, three quick and fast. Then the next class you can teach on specific individual rods. Good luck, This well also be a learning experience for You also in rod building.

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster