I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping heavy stand up rod
Posted by: Jeff Bott (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 04:20PM

I have a Seeker 2 x 4 that I plan to wrap. Will be using the American Titan guides. My question relates to wrapping the threads. I usually use Size A thread when wrapping my normal casting rods that I use for salmon fishing etc. However, with my aging eyes wrapping with Size A has become more difficult.

I've read about guys using A for the underwrap and then D for the overwrap. I've also read of guys using two and three wraps of A.

What would work best in this standup heavy rod category? Any thoughts appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping heavy stand up rod
Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 05:35PM

Jeff,

I have used C for all my heavy blue water rods. It's heavy enough for aging eye's and yet not as bulky as D. Just my preference.

Tight lines,

john

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 05:39PM

When I build on seekers, its A underwrap, and 2 or 3 layers of D over top with the first layer getting a coat of finish before the second. What guides are you using?

Posted by: Jeff Bott (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 06:33PM

kevin knox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I build on seekers, its A underwrap, and 2 or
> 3 layers of D over top with the first layer
> getting a coat of finish before the second. What
> guides are you using?

I'm using American Titan Boat guides.

Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 08:07PM

My SS 2x4 is wrapped with the American Tackle Turbos Titians. Underwrap is size A and overwapped with two layers of A also. Caught a 266 lb Yellowfin this year on that one. Rigged up with 100 lb Jerry Brown Hollow spectra and 100 lb Blackwater flurocarbon splice on. My SS 6463 4X is wrapped with the same guides and is wrapped with Size A as the underwrap and size A for the first overwrap and size D for the second and final overwrap. The only reason that one has D as a overwrap is I needed that color. Other than that rod I use A and then mostly Maderia thread at that. Any which way you decide to wrap it is up to you all will work for you. I love those guides now and are replacing all my roller guides for those on my stand up gear all the way up to my 130 lb line class.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Matt Ekhaml (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 08:22PM

"A" underwrap, guide, "C" overwrap, thin epoxy coat, "D" overwrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 08:29PM

Jeff,
If you aren't already using a head mounted magnifier, do yourself a favor and get one.

Then, use whatever thread your prefer. Size A all of the way through gives the nicest and cleanest looking job, but you can use any size thread you prefer.

If you do a test on a breaking strength of thread, I think that you will find that there is really very little difference, in the overall breaking strength of size A, size C, or size D.

The reson is very simple. Sure, size A is smaller than size C or D.
But count the number of wraps that you get in a specific space of each of the types of thread. I think that if you did a breaking test, you would find that same length wrap of A C and D to be about the same. Lots more A wraps in the same distance of a size D wrap.

Good luck

Roger

[www.google.com]

Date: November 06, 2010 10:42PM

2 layers of D will be fine. Roger, you are not looking for the thread to hold the rod onto the blank. You are looking for surface area that will absorb the finish and adhere to the blank. Since the wrap will be thicker, it will absorb more finish to make the total package adhere stronger.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 07, 2010 05:06PM

I must be the oddball, all I use is A. Unders and two overs. Seems to hold up well.

Date: November 07, 2010 09:32PM

Not odd at all. More than one way to skin a cat. I think that it's more a matter of whatever we have done in the past and accomplished good results, we stay with it. If we do something that does not work, then we modify until we correct the problem. Thats what makes this board so convenient for those that are new to rodbuilding.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: November 09, 2010 02:17PM

Size A is more than strong enough. If you doubt it take a guide wrap it on with just A and then try to tear the guide off the rod. I did this with a #41 Aftco roller guide. The wraps over the feet were a single layer of A and only 1/2 inch long each (centered on the guide foot). It took 41# pound of pull to remove the guide. And it wasn't the thread that failed. What happened was that the guide frame distorted which allowed the feet to slip out from under the thread.

Moral of the story: use whatever you are comfortable with. Strength is NOT an issue.
\
\

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster