I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gluing cork??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 11:23AM

can i use exterior (carpenters) wood gIue to hoId my grips together? if so, how Iong wiII they Iast? as Iong as e-poxy, i think not?.... right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gluing cork??
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 11:37AM

I, as most others do, use Titebond III to glue up cork grips. Never had a problem.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 11:48AM

Michael,

As Jay stated, no issues. Ihave handles that are 15-20 years old that are just fine.

Tight lines,

john

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 12:51PM

I ALWAYS use Titebond II or III (Wood glue)., Another advantage is no glue lines

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 05, 2010 06:54PM

Another Titebond user here.

Date: November 05, 2010 07:57PM

nice! I am a carpenter and have gaIIons of titebond. thankx, you stiII have to
e-poxy the cork to the bIank, right..?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 05, 2010 08:19PM

I use Rod Bond to adhere the finished grip to the blank.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 12:04PM

Ditto on the Rod Bond.

JH

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 12:05PM

I build my cork handles on the rod blank. I use Flex Coat epoxy and a brush and as I put on a cork ring I paint the top of the last ring & blank. When finished I clamp the handle tight and let dry overnight. This method seems to work for me. Be sure and wrap the reel seat & exposed blank in masking tape before doing any sanding of the handles. I also use several thin coats of Tru Oil when the sanding is complete. This seems to protect the cork from fish slime & scales and after a year or so a light sanding & another coat of Tru Oil returns the cork to like new condition. I do not have a problem with the cork being slippery when wet.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:35PM

I use the rod bond. I put the rings on a threaded rod. Put three dabs of rod bond on a ring, bring the next one down to it and turn several times. Then do the same on the next ring. You only need a little of this stuff. Clamp tight and no glue rings.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 10:34PM

I always use Rod Bond by Trondak. If you clamp tight you well never see a glue ring. I read years ago that
Carpenters glue well not cure correctly, do the reasoning that it needed air to cure. Where Rod Bond curies by a chemical reaction. Also it stays where you put it and does not run. Clean ups is easy a little water mixed with denatured alcohol and liquid soap. I have never had a grip or reel seat come lose sense I started using it in the 80's. Ralph OQuinn developed the stuff while still working for a major NW plane manufacture. If it holds planes together, I see no reason why I should not use it

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.192.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2010 10:52AM

Michael

I do not use any glue or adhesive that cures harder than the cork. If the adhesive is harder than the cork it tends to leave raised edges at the glue lines if you are not careful when sanding to shape. I use Weld wood or Plio bond contact cement because it is flexible and waterproof. It is very important that the assembly be clamped (compressed) tightly until the adhesive fully cures. Clamping insures the thinnest glue line possible and will result in a better finish after sanding.

John

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 11:38AM

Titebond III for cork. I like Rod Bond to glue grips to the blank. I am really liking Quick Bond (fast cure version of Rod Bond). It allows me to get more done in an evening. I just finished up the last of my Andy's 15 minute gel. It works just fine, but it smells a bit too skunky for me.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 12:21PM

John RB does flex some. If it didn't a major plane builder would not use it. As for glue lines I have none because I just apply mine to the center of the ring and spin the ring to spread it out, no glue lines. This subject is not written in stone. So if you have a way that works for you, use it by all means.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 08:32PM

Wood glue does not need exposure to air to cure, otherwise wood workers could not use it where pieces are clamped tightly or in laminating pieces together.

I too am a Titebond lll user on cork and wood.

Date: November 08, 2010 10:51AM

thankx feIIas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster