I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting acrylic
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 07:48AM

What is best to cut thin sheet acrylic down to turn with? My hole saws are too coarse.Cut it but not very good.They try to melt it running slow as will go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting acrylic
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 10:14AM

I've always used a hole saw and then put a bunch of them on a mandrel and turned them smooth, but this might just be the answer!!! [www.grizzly.com] I have one on order and will post results when I try it. Thanks to Michael Bloom for finding it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 10:34AM

Hi Bruce,

Mike Barkley also indicated that he used a drillpress. Having tried cutting circles for turning using a hand drill, I found that a drill press is necessary. The circle cutter that Mike mentioned can also be obtained fro Harbor Freight. I purchased a drill press from Harbor Freight as well. While it is not the best you can get, for what I am doing it is more than adequate. I have used the drillpress and circle cutter to cut 1/8" and 1/16" acrylic sheets. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 11:31AM

Bruce,
Put some different pulleys on your drill press so that you can run the drill bit more slowly to keep the heat down on the plastic.
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 11:59AM

Mike,

I'd be curious to hear whether that tool can be used to cut the inlets for various embedded fly reel seat hoods. Each manufacturer's hood has its own unique diameter so maybe this tool can be set to an infinite number of diameter settings. I realize that it wouldn't remove the cork, but once the OD is cut, an abrasive wheel on a Dremmel could remove the center.

Jeff Shafer

Never mind Mike, I just noticed that the smallest diameter hole the tool will cut is 1".

Thanks anyway,
Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 12:06PM by Jeff Shafer.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2010 12:10PM

Bruce,
I use a rotozip to make my rough cuts. The general purpose bits work just fine.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 12:31PM

Roger,
The HF SKU 38119 drill press has five stacked pulleys which gives speeds from 630 RPM to 3100 RPM. I set mine on 630 and it works fine for the thickness of the acrylic sheets I am using. I haven't observed any melting so far.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 02:06PM

The best method for cutting circles is by rough cutting your diameters, then using a router table and a template double stick taped to the workpiece to smooth the edges. This is the way professional plastics fab shops do it.

If you're looking for clear acrylic, there are ready made discs available in a couple of thicknesses(3mm and 6mm) and multiple diameters from US Plastics, among others, at a very reasonable cost when you consider the tooling and labor of doing it yourself.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 05:49PM

I just cut them square with a saw, either hand or power; drill a hole in the center and turn round.

Posted by: Steve Patrizi (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 06:13PM

Try wetting it down with a sqirt bottle of water,this will cool the plastic

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 09:53PM

I also use a hole saw in a drill press for acrylics from 1/16" to 1/4" and do not have melting problem. My aggravation is getting the cut circles out of the hole saw, I get them but it is a pain!

As for the post re recesses for reel seats, I use Forstner bits and find the 3/4", 13/16" & 7/8" pretty well cover all the reel seats I've encountered. Sometimes it takes a small amount of work with a Dremel tool to make the fit precise. I have successfully used these bits on, cork, wood and carbon fiber grips.

Posted by: Steve Cushman (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 07:34PM

I have used my bandsaw for cutting acrylic and it has worked just fine. I have never had a problem with the plastic melting.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 10:41AM

I'm with Mark, cut square and center drill. I use my table saw to cut out the pieces and sometimes the bandsaw. Scuff em up, glue em up and turn with rest of handle. (But I have not used any with cork,just wood)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2010 02:06PM

Just like reaming out cork with a drill. Cut a little and then back off so it has time to cool.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster