I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight Blank
Posted by: Blair Chilton (120.19.77.---)
Date: November 02, 2010 05:47PM

As a relatively new rod builder, I’m hoping to tap some of the wealth of knowledge this forum provides.
I am building a spinning rod for a friend who's main stipulation is for something that is super, super light (both in blank weight and power). He wants it for fishing lightly or unweighted soft plastics in shallow water, and wants it to be at least 7’ long.
My problem is the choice of blank. I have narrowed it down to 2 that I think will suit his needs and his budget and which I know I can easily purchase and have shipped to Australia.
They are the Phenix Elixer Ultra Light FX701-1-B and the S841-MHX. Both seem to be quite similar blanks. I have built on MHX blanks before and loved them but I have had no experience with Phenix. Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with either blank that could help make my decision easier? Is there another blank in that price range that would be a better option?
I understand that everyone has different ideas about different products but without being able to handle these rods myself, I’m grateful for any help you could provide

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 07:26PM

Blair,
If you are talking about a rod, building it and shipping it to Australia, I would certainly recommend building a 2-piece rod. Otherwise the shipping will be really really really expensive.

Also, have you checked to see what the customs charges will be when you ship to Australia.

When you ship to some countries, the customs charges equal or exceed the value of the rod.

Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2010 07:51PM

have you thought of using a fly blank? something like an 8ft 6wt or 5 wt. it will throw unweighted grub or similar plastic quite a distance and is a blast. I am sure you can find some different lengths and 2 piece to probably 4 piece.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: November 03, 2010 04:09AM

I have the Phenix rods and love them. I use that particular model for light bonefish, casts ultralight jigs with ease (especially with ultralight braid). In San Diego it worked well for spotted bay bass as well. I don't have any experience with the MHX blanks to compare it to, sorry.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 03, 2010 07:33AM

have you looked at Batson's IP840 or 841? They have them in the new RX8 and although I have yet to have that model in hand I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Tom Kaufmann

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 09:10AM

Here are some ideas on fly rod blanks.
We have been doing that for years, longer blanks in 3 or 4 wt for the lighter applications, and 5 or 6 wt for a litlle heavier.
The latest is the "XF" series in 4 pc
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Or the less expensive Rainshadow RX7 or RX6.
Here are some links to those.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

71/2 to 81/2' long have been the most popular.

Just be aware that building as a spin rod may void the warranty, so inspect very carefully any blank before buiding on it.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: November 03, 2010 09:53AM

I don't know if this will solve your problem but I have just come up with a nice multipiece ultra light spinning rod. I have been fooling around trying to make a matching pair of spinning and fly rods. I had 2 blanks that I puchased on e bay a few years ago, they were a 7 piece 9 foot 4-5 wt fly blank. On the first blank I built the fly rod and on the 2nd blank I dropped the first and third sections and made a 5 piece spinning rod. The reason I decided on the third section was it still had the taper to fit the sections together and it gave me a bit more power in the butt. I will have to wait and see how it will do on a stream test.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:46AM

HELLO BLAIR
The blank you want is LAMIGLAS IFW 84 2UL , that's 7' ultra lite, 2 pc. , line 2--8lb. I've used these, worked well. I used an all cork grip w/ spin rings to hold reel , very ! lite ! also FUGI Titanium frame guides. Mud Hole deals Lami.

Dave, PRRODS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 11:54AM by David von Doehren.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2010 05:41PM

Ron Schneider has it right on. Make it on a 7 1/2 foot moderate action 3 wt fly blank and it will cast 1/8 oz beautifully-comfortable, long casts. I did one a year ago and it's my favorite rod for light stuff. The 3 wt is perfect for 1/8 oz, if you want to cast heavier, go up, lighter go down. I used a skeleton seat with cork insert, and it is a featherweight. Don't worry about setting the hook, will do fine.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: November 04, 2010 12:31AM

Just to clarify the shipping to Australia issue - it is actually quit echeap. I often brin up to 10 blanks in fro Mudhole and shipping is around $30AUD for all 10. There are no customs duties or GST charges for goods valued at less than $1000AUD.

As for ULTRA light blanks, I would check the T Russell brand from Matagi.. they are awesome!!

Posted by: Blair Chilton (120.19.241.---)
Date: November 07, 2010 04:38AM

Thanks everyone for the info.

Ill definitely look into the fly blank option. I hadnt thought of that but it makes sense.

Chris, I've bought a few blanks from Mudhole and as you say the postage is nice and cheap. I was just wondering about the T Russell blanks? Ive had a bit of a look on the net and they get a pretty awesome wrap. I assume that you have had them sent to Australia in the past? Who did you get them through and what sort of price are they?

Cheers guys

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: November 07, 2010 09:14PM

Blair,
I have purchased them through Matagi in the past and the average cost is 75000 to 100000 JPY (about 100-120 aussie bucks).
Check out thier catalogue on line.
Cheers
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster