I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole trim rings and winding checks
Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 03:10PM

I have a few questions about some of the trim parts from Mudhole. Does the trim ring for the Fuji ECSM/ACSM reel seat also fit a Pac Bay Minima reel seat?

Also, does anyone know have the outside diameters of the winding checks they sell for the CRB handles? I am trying to find which size will cover up the end (threads) of a size 16 reel seat, but still allow the nut to pass over the winding check like in the case with a split reel seat. Based on the sizes I currently have, it seems like it would be about a 12mm ID anodized aluminum winding check, and about a 14mm ID swooped aluminum. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole trim rings and winding checks
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 03:54PM

If it is the trim ring from the CRB handle kit, it does not fit, but you can make it work with a dremel tool to fit the minima seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 03:55PM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: November 02, 2010 04:47PM

Good luck with the winding checks, larger blanks I've tried this on have not yielded good results, and the checks themselves do not save weight, they are rather heavy to use on a rod that you are cutting the threads on the seat to save weight on.

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.dyn.fttp.comporium.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 07:07PM

I do try to build light rods, but the trimming is mostly a matter of comfort so I can get my finger on the blank, and I think if sized correctly the winding checks add a nice finishing touch to cover up the hole at the end of the threads. I may also do an epoxy ramp, or sand the foam arbor into a ramp on the outside of the threads. Can you elaborate on your bad results i.e. looks or breaking the blank?

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:34AM

The problem being with using metal winding checks, as you increase with the inside diameter, the outside diameter will also become larger. Not to solve the problem with a metal check, but we are in the process of having rubber checks that have the proper outside diameter of a size 16 barrell and will have various inside diameters.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:36AM

The results being that the check was too large and the seat nut would not slide over it to allow for more seat to be cut down.....and I found that rubber winding checks weigh a lot less, so when weight matters, I will always not use them and go with rubber/vinyl checks.

Date: November 03, 2010 04:41PM

Thanks for the replies. On my last build, I used a size 13.5mm ID aluminum swooped winding check and it came pretty close to covering the entire barrel while still allowing the nut to slide over it. I wanted to know if I could use a 14 or 14.5 mm ID winding check to cover more of the barrel, or if the increase would be too much. Also, since there are several styles, I wanted to know which size of each would give the best result while still allowing the reel seat to be operational. I am not concerned with the inside diameter, because I can use a round file and emory cloth to ream it out or use thread under it if it is too large.

For the trim ring on the Minima reel seat, would the seat need to be modified, or the metal trim ring?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:50PM

Andrew,
Tom pointed out an excellent solution for this reel seat several months ago. He suggested on using the fuji style butt caps that are sized to perfectly fit the inside of a size 16 reel seat - same size as the minima reel seat.
Then, simply ream a hole in the center of the cap for a perfect, press fit onto the rod blank and the problem is solved.

[www.mudhole.com]

Note:
when you use this style butt plug at the front of the reel seat, be sure to adjust the length of any arbor that you might be using to allow for the installation of the plug during assembly.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 04, 2010 01:40PM

For the trim ring to the Minima seat, modify the seat. It does not take too much material to be removed so the trim ring slips into the seat.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 04, 2010 02:46PM

Check out the design we came up with a few years ago that has been very successful (FBWC>> down on the page shown below). we will also be coming out with another design for this concept soon>>
[www.batsonenterprises.com]
this fits perfectly and lets the hood go right over it.

The Batson TEAM
#1 TEAM in the Industry>>

Date: November 04, 2010 04:34PM

Thanks Bill, I will have to order some of those as well. I also appreciate that you have both the inside and outside diameters of your winding checks listed. This is a big help when you are trying to cover part of a grip or reel seat with the winding check. I was hoping to also get that information for the Mudhole winding checks also to maximize options, but I'm not sure if anyone has it recorded.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 12:08PM

Here is a link to our site that lists the winding winding checks Bill Batson mentioned.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster