I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay Blanks
Posted by: Jack Koontz (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 02:33PM

I just got over surgery and I told my surgeon, who is an avid striped bass and bluefin tuna fishermen, that in exchange for saving my life I would build him a fishing rod.(Not a bad deal). He wants something to cast for bonito from a boat. In my local rod building shop I was looking at Pacific Bay Rainforest II blanks, the mag bass line, 7 foot, #s RF2MBC843 to 846. The #844 looks good, line wgt.12-20# and lure wgt. 1/4-1 oz. Does anybody have an opinion on these blanks?
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 05:19PM by Jack Koontz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay Blanks
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 02, 2010 03:22PM

Mr. Koontz,
The MB844 is a battle tested blank in both the T2 and RF2 series. The X2GSS models from our PBX2 series may be something to look at as well. As for the comments made by your friends, they should be happy to know that I read your post while taking a break from my CAD program where I endlessly toil in an effort to bring original products to the custom rod builder. I wish you the best of luck in your rod building projects.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 02, 2010 03:31PM

Geoff, makes you wonder what they say about winthrop roller guides:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 03:41PM

Mr. Staples,

I was pleased to see your e-mail reply in response to the "backhanded criticism" of Pacific Bay's blank line. While I have not personnally tried the Pacific Bay rod blanks, I feel one's critcism of another's product is unprofessional. We all strive to produce the best product we can for the target price and market. The finished products will ultimately speak for their selves.

I must say, a very professional reply to the second hand critcism.

Sincerely,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2010 04:31PM

More than likely, the folks at Aftco were referring to what they feel are copies of their UniButt and roller guides. I doubt they were talking about the rod blanks.

Posted by: Jack Koontz (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 04:35PM

Mr. Staples
Thank you for your prompt reply concerning the PacBay blanks that I am considering.
Regarding my rude and thoughtless remark regarding comments about PacBay by another manufacturer I sincerely apologize. In fact, I have never discussed PacBay with them or any other manufacturer and was stupidly repeating unsubstantiated scuttlebutt.
Mr. Campbell was quite correct that your reply to me was a very professional response to something that should never have been included in an email asking for the generous advice of the rodboard's readers.
I look forward to using Pacific Bay products in the future
Please accept my apology.
JK

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 05:08PM

Jack, you can't take back what is said. You can edit your post though. Others may see it in the future when doing a search.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 02, 2010 06:01PM

No worries everyone, there are no hurt feelings here. Products will always have similarities, most cars have tires, windshields, and steering wheels right? I just wanted everyone to know we do make a large effort to develop new and useful products.
I does seem like people are a bit timid about mentioning specific sponsors in this forum unless its for a gleaming review. Was there a big problem in the past before I was around?

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2010 06:08PM

Geoff -
No, I don't think there was a "big problem" in the past. I think it is more common decency and courtesy to the sponsors and subscribers. Issues are better resolved in one-to-one, off-board, between members and members to sponsors. While it is certainly not "forbidden" it just isn't called for. There are many good, solid products and there have been critical comparisons between / across vendors and manufacturers - but they are done more as "comparative analysis" or caveated with "in my opinion" rather than harshly.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: November 03, 2010 03:11AM

Its an ugly side effect of of the medication called "political correctness" that has been over prescribed in recent years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster